TechSpot

Killed mobo ?

By ptitterington
Dec 21, 2003
  1. Well I have been upgrading some more with the usual n0. 3 machine as the emergency backup and youngest kids toy.

So I rebuilt no.2 machine and so I had some spares to put into the then working Epox8kta3+pro ( a board that has alwaus been pretty skittish and finally drove me to asus)
    I fitted some now spare sdram and the spare 1.4 tbird would not boot, took everything out , cleared cmos , put back as was, put in new 400w psu put in known working g,card checked every connection tried on different monitor just will not start.

I am pretty sure that the mobo is dead but it is still a challenge. I have tried lots of memory as I have lots now as all the other machines have ddr and also the 1000 Tbird that was working.

I think I should just get a cheap new mobo but am a little baffeled now by the fact that most say sdram ddram both dont fit the same slot and I have loads of sdram.
    Am I missing something and can you suggest a cheap mobo to do the Job using this stuff,

1.4 tbird 4 sticks of 128mb pc 100 168pin sdram dvd player cd scsi writer internal with card sb audidgy choice of gforce 2mx of matrox g400 g card and some stuff,

2. Spike

Spike TS Rookie Posts: 2,371

Could you try running a simply hardware setup with that board, and then tell us EXACTLY what happens when you boot?

Do you get a POST, or a flashing cursor top left of screen? No power up on the monitor? no power up at all? power light on the case but nothing happens?

3. StormBringer

StormBringer TS Rookie Posts: 2,871

I assume you tried a barebones boot already, and tried reseating everything and checking all the cables and the connections to the mobo. If you checked all that, you are pretty much left with a dead board since everything else is known good components.

4. ptitterington

ptitterington TS Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 376

I have done that I have been checking the post LEDs which sometimes do checks upto 25 26 then ff then unless i shut off and clear cmos go to ff quite quick the monitor never even flickers and I have tried 2 and also checked existing works with an ok setup.
    I am pretty sure its the mobo as it used to be really unhappy about how the memory was set in quite gritty/crunchy but I have wiggled and tried any different combo.

I think I need a new mobo but I want to use existing memory.

5. ptitterington

Any recommendations for budget mobo that will accept the sdram:grinthumb

6. tripleione

tripleione TS Rookie Posts: 181

ECS K7S5A Pro

Specifications:
    Supported CPU: AMD Athlon XP/Athlon/Duron Processors
    Chipset: SiS 735
    FSB: 266/200MHz
    RAM: 2x 184-pin for DDR200/266 or 2x 168-pin for PC100/PC133 Max 1GB
    can not be used simultaneously
    IDE: 2x UltraDMA 33/66/100 up to 4 Devices
    Slots: 1x AGP 4X, 5x PCI, 1x AMR
    Ports: 2xPS2,1xCOM,1xLPT,4xUSB2.0(Rear),6xUSB1.1(via header),1xLAN,Audio Ports
    Onboard Audio: CMI9738 4-Channel AC97 CODEC
    Onboard LAN: Realtek 8201BL 10/100Mbps
    Form Factor: ATX

$38.00 at Newegg

7. ptitterington

That looks like it should do.
    I have even looked on ebay then gave up when the prices for used caught up with the new.

thanks

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.