Kinect hack makes the user invisible

By Emil
Dec 3, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Zilpha

Zilpha TS Enthusiast Posts: 319

Reminds me of the chameleon spell\effects or steath boy effects in Oblivion and Fallout.

2. Cota

Cota TS Enthusiast Posts: 513   +8

Nice to c how Kinect is going up on PC's, hopefully this helps to make people understand how consoles are holding back the PC gamers.
    Now how do i replace bank cameras whit this? :p
  3. Zilpha

Consoles are holding back PC gamers? Wow - you sound a little bitter there. Consoles don't hold anything back. If a developer wants to develop for a PC, they will.
  4. Emil

Emil TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 154

5. Zilpha

The PC market being smaller than the console market is what's holding it back - not the fact that there is a console market. We're starting to see a shift towards PCs as they become more "living room friendly" - so I guess that would be the real thing holding PCs back: the fact that it's still a piece of equipment that you sit at a desk with as opposed to a lounge chair.

PC gaming is superior - but I find that quite often I would rather sit in front of the TV and play Fallout than sit at the desk and play it.
  6. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,270   +91

Is it it wrong if I say I can still actually see him....
  7. mattfrompa

mattfrompa TS Guru Posts: 490   +16

I don't agree with Crytek, and as I have said before, PC vs Console is not an apple to apple debate, and there are often several aspects which are ignored or become an issue of preference.
    With that said, MS has to love all of this exposure (and sales) with Kinect. It may not be "the future of gaming" but profits are profits.
  8. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,202   +422

Being able to set myself to 30% opacity would be pretty fun - and maybe even useful especially if I were overlaying myself on a presentation via webex or the like. It might even be useful for doing things like weather reports or overlaying yourself on a youtube video feed where you can actually point at things (since you can see where you are in realtime.)
  9. The nightmare of my childhood, a Predator!!!
  10. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,422   +470

PS: I actually liked predator movies... oh no they know now D:!
  11. DSparil

DSparil TS Rookie Posts: 35

If you're going to become invisible based on that Kinect idea, then you have to hack people's eyes to become invisible.
  12. why would you even bother doing something like that -- background subtraction is a the most primitive video segmentation technique and well known in CV. You don't need Kinect to do this - simple webcam will be enough... Those "kinect hackers" should really move on to something interesting... Coding "hello world" over and over again and posting it on YouTube is getting old...