Kingston HyperX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel De

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blind Dragon

Is this considered value RAM? I bought 2gigs of it for $50, installed it and it is defaulting to DDR-667. Seemed like a steal at the time

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820134583

I had to manually go into BIOS and up the voltage and increase the clock - It is now at DDR-800
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And while were at it, newegg.com advertises this http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820134583
as SLI ready, but I do NOT see where you would hook up the SLI cable. Anybody?

Just a few kinks with the new build

From the newegg comments:
I feel as like I should clear up the confusion about this memory. This ram is programed to default to DDR2-667 at 1.8volts instead of the DDR2-800 at 2volts. This is because most motherboards default to 1.8v, and it would suck if you were trying to build a new computer and you couldn't boot because your memory only ran at 2v. That's why kingston made it so you can run it at 1.8v(although at a slower speed) and change it to 2v later. YOU NEED TO MANUALLY SET THE VOLTAGE TO 2VOLTS AND SPEED TO DDR2 800 @ 4-4-4-12 IN THE BIOS. If you don't do this then you are wasting good memory. If you don't believe me then read the data sheet here: http://www.valueram.com/datasheets/KHX6400D2LLK2_2G.pdf
So that makes sense...

Also I think your 2nd link is the same as your first :)

Hehehe SLI memory with a cable. Yeah SNGX1275 is right, You posted the memory link twice.

You are right, I don't see it either. Now the tab to the back end of the pcie part is the right size for sli, but I don't see how you'd get a cable on there if the card is seated. Plus its not labeled....

After 4 edits and me questioning how drunk I am, I've decided Techspot doesn't like my link. Anyway what the following link is, is what I was looking at trying to find the sli connector.
ShowImage.aspx

plus there is a clip on my mobo pci-e slot that grabs onto that tab so i really doubt that is it. I cannot figure it out. I think I will attempt to contact MSI

I knew what you meant bottom right corner

Figured it out finally

The NX8500GT-TD256E can run SLI through the PCI Express bus, should you happen to have a second GeForce 8500GT videocard and a motherboard which supports SLI

Well......No.....!

This is Kingston Value RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134117
The operating voltage is 1.8, the timing is 5-5-5-12

The Hyper-X is a higher performance product, hence the higher operating voltage. That's a hot buy, incidentally. The value RAM is a mainstream part for insecure folks like me who just like to stick the DIMMs in, and have the computer boot, first time every time. Some Intel boards won't boot with high voltage RAM, enter Value RAM to save the day. In these cases the BIOS does not have adjustable RAM voltage.

The SLI port if there is one is on the top edge of the printed circut board near the "front" of the card. The front of the card is where the VGA/DVI ports are located. Not all SLI cards use the SLI bridge. Some use the PCI-E buss to make SLI work just like Blind Dragon said.

@captaincranky - Thanks for that, I figured it was a good deal because if you google newegg and hyperX it comes up at $90. But if you actually go through the link I put up its 49.99 or 39.99 after rebate.

@ cinders - I never knew that till after reading endless pages about these cards, thanks. I was so frustrated trying to figure where the bridge could possibly go. I didn't order the 2nd card yet because of that

no this is not value ram, but hyper ram offers little performance gain over value ram according to tomshardware.com which regularly checks components. The few milliseconds difference is unnoticeable. While over clockers may get some benefit, in general, the overage user has no need to shell out extra $

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back