TechSpot

KN8 north bridge fan

By imacrazyballoon
Sep 8, 2006
  1. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,452   +227

Maybe you could describe the sound. Since we can't hear it, "loud" doesn't do much.

2. imacrazyballoon

imacrazyballoon TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 40

Well, i fixed the sound problem, i still dont know what caused it, but i took the cover off the fan. however, in the process i took out the little white things holding it on. So i used yellow duct tape. I havent used it yet, so please tell me if that is bad or not. I used 2 pieces( one for each side) that are about .7cm wide and 5 cm long.

3. Moimit

Moimit TS Rookie Posts: 136

two little pins right? well if you broke them you're not going to want to turn it on in an upright position, the tape will get hot and fall off and your heatsink will follow the tape to the back of the video card maybe, and cooked would be your northbridge. find an old gfx card they've always got some little pin thingies in them.

4. imacrazyballoon

well, until i get more screws, is just laying down. Hopefully it has enough contact to get the heat of the norht bridge.

5. Moimit

you're best off buying a cheapo heatsink for old video cards or northbridges as it should come with pins. where do you live i could send you some. i've got like easy 100 of them

6. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 TS Rookie Posts: 272

Its definatly not wise to use just duct tape. You need pins to hold the headsink on. Also you should put some new thermal paste on before putting the heatsink back on properly.

7. imacrazyballoon

Whats a good range for the temperature?

8. riekmaharg2

Each chip has a different heat tollerence. But over all I would say no higher than 60c.

9. imacrazyballoon

really? Because at the moment, ( and i cant exactly tell which is monitoring my north bridge) but none of the sensors are measuring above 42C

10. imacrazyballoon

im using speedfan, this is what its telling me:
    Temp1: 30C
    Temp2: 20C
    Temp3: 27C
    HD1: 25C
    Temp1: 24C
    Core: 42C

If you have ever used speedfan, it would help if i knew what the blue arrows, red arrows, and green check marks mean next to each gauge.

11. riekmaharg2

Maybe its fine. However your motherboard may not have a sensor for the north bridge.

12. riekmaharg2

The arrows just mean:

Blue down:cool
    Red hot:getting quite hot
    Green tick:perfect temp
    Flames:Very hot

13. imacrazyballoon

Is there a way i can tell? The metal part of then fan is pretty hot

14. riekmaharg2

Well at least we no the heat is getting to the heatsink then.

15. imacrazyballoon

it seems like its doing as much as it would have with the pins in place, although it has to stay on its side, so the tape doesnt accidentaly fall off.

16. riekmaharg2

I think you should still get some pins though just in case.

17. imacrazyballoon

ill get some pins, the tape is just a quick fix so i can still use it. I just wish i could tell if the north bridge was about to die. Im guessing the north bridge isnt replaceable.

18. riekmaharg2

No the northbridge isnt real replacible. And there isnt another way of checking the temp, but the heatsink is begin heated then at least its taking heat away. The only thing you can do it get some pins ASAP.

19. imacrazyballoon

what does the north bridge do?

20. Moimit

it connects the processor to the ram and the Video card, it also talks to the southbridge which controls everything else to an extent. Northbridge = must have

21. imacrazyballoon

why cant they just make that part of the processor and not have to put an extra fan/heatsink in there

22. riekmaharg2

23. dmill89

dmill89 TS Guru Posts: 737

AMD did put the southbridge on the Athalon 64s but most motherboards for that CPU hava a southbridge on the motherboard anyway (yours doesn't it has only a northbridge on the board) The north bridge will likely be integrated eventually but heat issues are the main reason that keep it from being built on the CPU for now once betther cooling or cooler chips are developed I see no reason It couldn't be built into the CPU.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.