TechSpot

Konami's classic NES platform shooter Contra now available on iOS

By Shawn Knight
Jun 26, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Contra is making a return after a successful run more than 25 years ago in arcades and on the Nintendo Entertainment System. Contra: Evolution is the first official mobile version of the platform shooter that also spawned the now infamous...

Read more

2. Wagan8r

Wagan8r TS Guru Posts: 593   +47

"as difficult as the original"

Wait, it was difficult? I could beat it without using a single continue, and "no" I didn't use the Konami code. I loved that game so much for my NES. Although, the purist in me notes that they've added a second power-up box above the enemy in the screenshot.

I hope they port this to Windows Phone.

3. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,195   +749

Well... I'd never thought I'd say this, but I'm officially jealous of iPhone users. For the next month or two anyways.

tehbanz likes this.
  4. ghasmanjr

ghasmanjr TS Booster Posts: 363   +86

What in the hell are you smoking? That game was insanely difficult. I only ever beat it once without continues. I usually don't make it past the forth level without a continue.

Good times though. I may buy this.

5. Android version? Why ignore over 75% of the mobile phone market?

6. cmbjive

cmbjive TS Enthusiast Posts: 585   +100

I could only beat the game with the Konami code, but it was one sitting.

And an Android version will be coming. It seems that Android versions of iOS games have a time lag to them. But ti will eventually hit the Android market.

7. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,373   +289

I used to be able to beat the game in one life. Once you learned the game and where everything appeared it was very easy - but it took a while to get that familiar with it.

SNGX1275 likes this.
  8. KulWun

KulWun TS Rookie

We?re told that a version for Android will be available via Google Play within the next couple of months before being released on the Amazon Appstore for Android.

9. captainawesome

captainawesome TS Guru Posts: 422   +42

Why ignore android (at first anyway) - well because android users dont pay as readily. But they do like their adware :-D

10. misor

misor TS Maniac Posts: 1,026   +154

Contra is lame. :)
    it is so hard for me that I needed to have 100 lives to beat the game...
    ...wait... I am lame. :)

11. misor

Contra is lame. :)
    it is so hard for me that I needed to have 100 lives to beat the game...
    ...wait... I am lame. :)

12. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,373   +289

Only because you double posted ;)

misor likes this.
  13. MrAnderson

MrAnderson TS Maniac Posts: 488   +10

Awh... Virtual dpad... no! I want a real controller. :(

This is why I cannot play games originally designed for a controller on a touch screen.

14. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,406   +1,594

He wants us to memorize the code too! lol

15. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,690   +337

Yep. Thats how NES games were. That is why they are so great too, because you had to put in a lot of effort to become really really good at them. After about the mid 90s the 'memorization' of game patterns wasn't a deciding factor in how good you were. I've been on both sides of this, so I don't know which I like better. I do enjoy being better than all but 2 people I have ever played SNES Mario Kart with/against (out of literally hundreds), but I like to be able to drop into a modern game and not totally get my *** handed to me - ie AI compensates for your apparent skill.

cmbjive and cliffordcooley like this.
  16. misor

haha! my bad. ie10 did not refresh after a few minutes so I clicked "post reply" button again.:p

17. cmbjive

cmbjive TS Enthusiast Posts: 585   +100

This is why I almost always play my games on hard and am a huge fan of hard RPGs like Dark Souls, Dragon's Dogma and Skyrim (play on Hardcore or higher). These games punish you when you make mistakes and are unforgiving in meting it (especially Dark Souls). A lot of games nowadays do a bunch of handholding with pointing you in the right direction, or giving extraneous hints. Especially in Dark Souls you are just thrown in the game and expected to figure it out.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.