KV7-V Motherboard with CMOS Checksum Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

winglet

I have a problem.

I just bought a brand new kv7-v motherboard and AMD Sempron 2600+ from tigerdirect.

I went home, mounted the board properly, plugged everything correctly (I think/hope).

When I start it up, it seems to start fine with the default settings...but it gives me the CMOS Checksum error and I have to push F1 to continue.

When I go into the BIO and change it from the defaults to user define with the EXACT same frequency, my computer shuts off and sounds an alarm.

I have tried changing the power supply but I still get the same problem....

Can anyone help me?

First turn off the power

Remove the battery let it sit

Replace the battery after about 30 seconds

If you still get this error replace the battery itself

let us know

Open your computer look inside it is a round shiny thing toward the bottom .. It will show you in your manual...

hmm, the motherboard is brand new, do you think it could be the CMOS battery? Maybe it's something in my frequency settings. Does anyone know how I can find out what my settings should be at?

HEllo again

Look in your motherboard manual and follow the BIOS set up to a "T" check at AMD web site for the settings on that procrossor you will find the FSB and the mulitplier there .I do believe that is a either a 266/333FSB cpu and Yes Just becuse the motherboard is new does not mean the battery is,The battery itself is a pretty cheap fix ..

Keep us posted

First Nothing is a silly question ! This is how one learns

Your FSB has settings from 100-199

if your Cpu is a 266 FSB total this has to be set to 133

if your CPU is a 333FSB total this has to be set to 166

Soon as we know what your FSB is of the CPU you have now is like I said it is either a 266/or a 333fsb if you have anymore questions please feel free to email me and place FSB in subject line...

On AMD's website
it says that the AMD Sempron processor supports 333MHz...meaning that I should set it to 166 Hz? just wanna double check

The FSB is set to 166 and now it starts fine without the alarm
however, under windows system it says it's running as a 1.09 GHz...but with the 2600+, it should be running at 1.83 GHz?

What is wrong?

btw, my motherboard manual doesn't have instructions on how to setup the bios, it just lists what the bios settings mean

as well, with my FSB clock at 166 Hz
it still gives me the CMOS checksum error
and my multiplier factor cannot be changed...it won't let me change it, the only thing I am able to change is the Ratio(FSB:AGP:pCI) which is currently set at 5:2:1

As well, I have changed the CMOS battery as well
and it still doesn't work... :(
This is driving me nuts
I have to clear the CMOS because it's shutting down and sounding the alarm
and now it gives me that CMOS checksum error again

okay, well, I took it in and the guy didn't know what was wrong with it
He took off the cpu fan, and reattached it...and now all of a sudden it seems to work okay? I'll never know what it is, but thanks so much for your help....I learned quite a bit from you guys and I'll make sure I'll post future problems that may come up. Thanks!

Hi Winglet. tbrunt3 was doing such a good job I hate to but# in, but if you go to this link, you will get a much better explanation of all those BIOS settings. What they do and what the most common settings are. The user guides from all these mobo makers leave a lot to be desired in terms of BIOS info.

http://www.rojakpot.com/freebog.aspx

oopsie

lol, well, not all of my problems are over yet! The computer now seems to restart on its own....any clues?

Random reboots usually sign of faulty power supply get it checked or invest 14.00$ to buy a powersupply tester from your local computer store and check it yourself.

Well Lets run memorytest 86 get it here We will start with the memory see it all test out ok since the power supply is brand new.But to be honost I seen them bad out of the box ...

Let us know how the test goes...

another random thing
if I am able to run Counterstrike before my computer restarts
it won't restart on its own afterwards....whether during the game or after I finish playing.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back