Lack of Brightness

Status
Not open for further replies.

MintabiePete

I have a 17" monitor that seems to be good in every department except the contrast and brightness.

The settings are turned right up but it still; seems to be a bit on the dark side for pictures and graphics but is OK with text .

I have it running with plug and play monitor and it seems OK apart from the darkness , it is a Mirage Model 768M which I cant find anything on the net about it , so cant download another driver.

Has anyone got any suggestions , would appreciate some feedback:)

Can you adjust the color setting in the monitor setup? 9300°K looks brighter than 6500°K.

Your monitor may also be nearing death of course.

Check the gamma settings of your graphic card, too.
Right click on desktop -> properties -> visual settings tab -> advanced
Your card should have a tab in there for gamma settings.
If your OS is Windows, I forgot that.

Originally posted by Abraxas
Check the gamma settings of your graphic card, too.
Right click on desktop -> properties -> visual settings tab -> advanced
Your card should have a tab in there for gamma settings.
If your OS is Windows, I forgot that.

Yes I have thought of that but my card doesnt seem to have that setting anywhere , but I can set the gamma settings for the photo on the desktop with Irfanview and it is just fine . My OPerating system is dual boot WinXP/RedHat Linux 8.0 .

You know, I think there's plenty of people here on these forums who suffer from a lack of brightness... ;)

You know, I think there's plenty of people here on these forums who suffer from a lack of brightness... ;)
Maybe they turned to the dark side ... :D

Originally posted by MintabiePete
Yes I have thought of that but my card doesnt seem to have that setting anywhere , but I can set the gamma settings for the photo on the desktop with Irfanview and it is just fine . My OPerating system is dual boot WinXP/RedHat Linux 8.0 .
What videocard do you have (its not listed in your profile), if you are using default drivers in windows then you may not have the gamma features, but if you update to a newer driver set you may.

Thanks SNGX1275, my video card is only a little one a S3Trio64V2 4 MB but I will try as you suggested .

I had a look in the S3 drivers cant see anything that will suit my card , not sure what I am looking for but maybe that is the only way to go , me using Plug & Play

Thanks very much appreciated.

:)

If your monitor has an option to adjust video input level, try setting it lower, like 0.7V. I'm not sure if I should even say this but if you know what you're doing, you could open the monitor and adjust it directly from there..

Thanks for your suggestions Mictlantecuhtli , I guess thats what I need to do but not really knowing anything about monitors I might leave it to the experts :D but on the other hand I might just poke around in there and see what I can find , I suppose thats what it is all about Experimentation , even to a learner like me

Originally posted by MintabiePete
Thanks for your suggestions Mictlantecuhtli , I guess thats what I need to do but not really knowing anything about monitors I might leave it to the experts :D but on the other hand I might just poke around in there and see what I can find , I suppose thats what it is all about Experimentation , even to a learner like me

Be very careful doing this, monitor are vacuums (vakooms? :D ) and are prone to implosion (not explosion). The stuff inside is very toxic to human skin and lots of precautions should be taken when attempting to open one of those bad boys without a lot of know-how. I suggest looking for a how-to guide on the internet.

If your monitor isn't faulty, then leave it alone. There are high voltages inside and they can kill. If your monitor is old, then get yourself a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back