Lag when playing Garry's Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

sw123

Hey guys

I have a problem with my main pc

I recently got Garry's Mod and HL2 DM recently. Both are games that don't require a lot of system power and has never lagged on me, even with the older graphics card and CPU.

But just recently, the computer had trouble booting, so I decided to rebuild the computer and dust out the case and put it all back together

Well it was able to boot better and nothing was going wrong with it, until i got onto Garry's Mod

It was loading onto a good server with a few players and a latency around 65, and it was doing its thing just fine. But when it actually started playing I was literally not even getting 1 fps out of it. Normally I can get somewhere around 25-30 which is good.

The same thing happens on HL2 DM, around 0.5-1 fps if there is such a thing.

I have yet to install new drivers for my video card so ill try that but any other suggestions may be helpful

Thanks

sw123

EDIT: New video card drivers didnt improve performance. System specs are in profile

Also when i play it i am told that my ping is something like 247, which is very high for me.

When I play singleplayer, i get the normal fps. Which leads to me to believe its a networking problem

I do have an older cable modem which is around 4 years old but it hasnt had any problems functioning for normal things like the internet.

I also tried bypassing the router, which has helped only a little but its still a weak 2 or 3 fps.

I havent had a reply in several hours and my system specs are in my profile. Please, please if someone could offer a suggestion. This problem really bugs me and I have no clue how to fix it.

sw123

Does it happen in other multiplayer games?
Perplexing problem. You can try reinstalling the game if it is isolated to garry's mod.

Its not isolated to garrys mod

it does the same thing on HL2 DM, so i reinstalled that with no luck

If i run a local game server(singleplayer) with either game however, it doesnt lag at all.

I think its a networking problem, possibly firewall. Is this a possibility?

sw123

EDIT: Checked my incoming/outgoing traffic on my cable modem. It reads 6016 kbps in and 768kbps out. If i'm correct, that's not a good sign.

EDIT: Checked my incoming/outgoing traffic on my cable modem. It reads 6016 kbps in and 768kbps out. If i'm correct, that's not a good sign.
Actually I think that is just fine, though I may be wrong.

You can google for some Gary's mod and HL2 DM netcode tweaks and try those out, I don't actually know if those games have commands, but they should under the source engine.

There is a command console but i looked under that option

I dont know if it is totally a network problem. It seems that it may be, but when I do play online, it lags like its the video card

I never had disconnect problems(unless the server crashes), and my ping is usually 68-95

I'm going to run an overnight virus scan an see how that turns out. I'll also post a hijackthis log.

thanks

sw123

I dont know if it is totally a network problem. It seems that it may be, but when I do play online, it lags like its the video card
Yes...i've never seen a problem like this before. I can only recommend running something like Casey's config and see if that helps the network. Strange, probably something wrong with the settings, though you reinstalled, so its not something with the game settings. That leads to maybe something wrong with your window's network stuff. But you didn't change anything did you? So that leaves frying something physically when rebuilding your computer, though your internet works right?

Actually I think that is just fine, though I may be wrong.
Though I said that, I can't back it up with any facts, it was mostly common sense.

Common sense doesnt apply in computers all the time, especially in networking

If something fried when rebuilding, it wouldnt be working better than before rebuilding it?

My CPU is also a little high it jumps between 0-22% on idle and is always maxed out when playing singleplayer GMod :?

Also when i rebuilt it, i only replaced essentials, which is what it was made of in the first place

I can also try replacing the video card, but my dad says that it "works well enough for him" and he wont pitch in with buying a new video card. So I have to live with what i got. But since it worked before just fine on my current setup, i dont see why replacing it would help

I'll also test the internet connection and call up my ISP tech support to see if they can help. I'm also switching internet providers to see if that helps. I will also try connecting to another network wirelessly

Anyway thanks for all your help. I still need suggestions but i will try my solutions tonight to see if they work

thanks

sw123

I ran all the scans and nothing came up. I believe that it is a problem with the video card but I cant say for sure

I ran Casey's Config also. I noticed the graph bars at the bottom and thought that measured something. So I went on to a server and saw that the graph was all in the red which I dont think is a good sign.

This is really starting to piss me off. I don't know what I should do now. I reinstalled both games and steam and nothing has worked yet. Thanks all for the suggestions

sw123

I ran Casey's Config also. I noticed the graph bars at the bottom and thought that measured something. So I went on to a server and saw that the graph was all in the red which I dont think is a good sign.
That is the net_graph 3 command.
It should show:

framerate: (number) Ping: (your ping, normally under 100) ms
in: (packets received from server) (transfer rates 242343423kb/s 435435345354 kb/s)
out: (packets sent to server) (transfer rates 345bk/s 453534kb/s)
loss: (packets lost in transit, you want it low) Choke: (the server 'choke', happens with bad netcodes and too many players.

If your choke is high, that is generally bad netcodes, which casey's should fix. If your getting loads of losses and low transfer rates, something is wrong with your internet, and I don't know what it could be :/.

I actually fixed the problem

I connected the wireless network adapter and took the onboard LAN offline. When I connected the wireless network to my home connection and tried again, it worked perfectly like it used to

Aside from a few in-game errors which I fixed, all of my games are working just fine.

I will replace many parts in my computer to try and fix it, including the motherboard, CPU, video card, and power supply

Thanks for all your help!

sw123

I connected the wireless network adapter and took the onboard LAN offline. When I connected the wireless network to my home connection and tried again, it worked perfectly like it used to
Hmm, strange thing to happen after switching out some parts, but oh well.

Sorry i'm not too much use at this :/.
Have fun :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back