LAN Based IM

Status
Not open for further replies.

aplatt99

we are looking to implement a network based chat/im software that will allow better control than the current one we are using. We use PopMessenger (from LeadMind) currently. The problem is it allows anyone to chat with anyone else on the network. We want to be able to use one that allow susie to chat with her supervisor, but not her coworker. It will allow Jim to chat with his marketing groups, but not with the CSRs...You get the point. We want to stay away from the public IM's like AIM and the like. Any ideas on a better software out there??

Thanks for your help

AP

Many of the public IM products can be hosted on your infrastructure and
retain the concepts of Buddies and/or "Joe has sent you a message".
Contact the one you like and discuss the leasing options :)

i appreciate your input. however, none of the public IM packages I have found allow blocking of individual users to other users. I have found another software package called e/POP from wiredred.com. Thanks for your input though...

Are you (as admin) attempting to prohibit IM "Joe from to Mary" as a policy issue
or just "as user Mr. Manager, I don't want messages from persons x,y,z"?

I am attempting to restrict it via the IM software itself. We don't want susie to IM her coworker, but if given the opportunity I am sure they will if the software is loaded on both and a REAL restriction is not in place

OK, I guess. I would think IM to persons outside the organization would need far
more control and thus the reason to bring the service inside the infrastructure.

I seriously doubt you will find that kind of control in any IM product as that is contrary
to the concept of collaboration -- mind you, I'm not saying anything about your need
to choose this level of control.

You might just use the "Fear of God" technique of publishing a policy that basically
says,
Your email and IM messages are considered Company business and as such the Company has the need to monitor, track and archive all communications which transpire or originate from Company equipment. Information or attachments that are considered contrary to the interest of the Company will be considered as reasons for reprimand or other disciplinary actions.​

I would be interested in feedback on whatever product(s) you find that solve this issue for you.

Jeff

Most remote control software have IM or chat features. I use RADMIN it has text chat with icons or voice and video mode. Ultra VNC also have these features. You don't have too open a remote session you can open up a IM with any client on your network.

IM can be found in most mail server software also, but you don't want to go that way. IBM Sametime Connect is a favorite with CSC and GE. Some still use AOL or you can use GAIM or Pidgin both are freeware or opensource.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back