So my dad just gave me a hand-me-down laptop. I get it home and it runs fine, so long as I use that AC adapter. The laptop in question is a recently reformatted HP Pavillion N5420. According to the power options and the light on the computer, the battery is 100% charged. But when I remove the AC adapter, *poof*, it shuts off like we've lost power, literally. Basically, the battery isn't functioning. What I don't understand is the power options recognize the battery and it's charge. Is it lying to me? lol My brother is suggesting a lose wire within the computer, anyone else have any other suggestions? I mean, I'd like to be able to use the computer outside of the 2 foot radius from the wall plug. Any help would be greatly appreciated!