Laptop connecting to 2 different networks. Need help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all. My wife just got a laptop from her work to use. I recently set-up a secured wireless network with DHCP disabled. I was able to research and set it up myself, but it took alittle while, so I don't know alot about networking.

At work, she needs to have DHCP enabled for her to be able to get on the internet. I went to the alternate config tab on the Internet/Protocol properties and I have everything filled out except the Wins data.

I'm not sure where to find that info, or if I even need that.

When you turn the laptop on, it will connect to the network and then search and then says it isn't connected, but I can get on the internet for about 5 minutes or so, then it says it can't connect to the network and I lose my internet.

I am using a Linksys Router and everything is running XP.

I could use some help please. If you need more info, please let me know.

Thank you.

Your setup sounds good and in the case you don't have to worry about WINS. Are you moving around when you lose signal or in one place. How long do you lose it for? Or it just connects when you boot and then losses connection until reboot?

Yea, I am kinda lost. I am using MAC addresses instead of IP addresses for the router. I just went through my router settings again to see if I missed anything and it all looks good to me.

When I first set up the laptop, I put in the manual settings for the Internet Protocol properties and the laptop worked like a charm, but then she couldn't use it at work, so I had to change it back to use DHCP.

Just can't figure out what settings need to be made to be able to utilize both networks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back