TechSpot

Laptop connection to the internet

By SeagullSid
Apr 27, 2005
  1. Hi,
    I've recently bought a refurbished laptop off the internet. I wrongly assumed that all laptops had a wireless connection to the internet, but the one I've bought just has a normal modem inside. As I don't have a phone line at home, I need to upgrade the laptop (if possible) in order to get a wireless connection. However, I have no idea what exactly it is I should be looking for. Can I get an internal wireless modem? I've seen external wireless network adapters, and routers advertised on the net, is this what I need? Please help!! Thanks

2. IronDuke

IronDuke TS Rookie Posts: 856

You have probably got a cardbus slot which will take a wireless adapter. To connect to the internet you need to be near an access point.

3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,315   +618

adding wireless

look for a PCIMCA slot wireless adaptor. it is better to use the same vendor as your wireless router, but mix and match should still work.

4. SeagullSid

SeagullSid TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 18

Thanks for the replies, I have a PCMCA slot so I think I know what I'm looking for now, however I didn't know that I had to be near an access point.

5. patio

patio TS Maniac Posts: 482

There are also USB wireless adapters. Again good advice on sticking with the same brand as your router. Not crucial but it eliminates 1/2 the hassles.

patio. :cool:

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.