Laptop connection to the internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeagullSid

Hi,
I've recently bought a refurbished laptop off the internet. I wrongly assumed that all laptops had a wireless connection to the internet, but the one I've bought just has a normal modem inside. As I don't have a phone line at home, I need to upgrade the laptop (if possible) in order to get a wireless connection. However, I have no idea what exactly it is I should be looking for. Can I get an internal wireless modem? I've seen external wireless network adapters, and routers advertised on the net, is this what I need? Please help!! Thanks

You have probably got a cardbus slot which will take a wireless adapter. To connect to the internet you need to be near an access point.

adding wireless

SeagullSid said:
Hi,
I've recently bought a refurbished laptop off the internet. I wrongly assumed that all laptops had a wireless connection to the internet,... Can I get an internal wireless modem? I've seen external wireless network adapters, and routers advertised on the net, is this what I need? Please help!! Thanks

look for a PCIMCA slot wireless adaptor. it is better to use the same vendor as your wireless router, but mix and match should still work.

Thanks for the replies, I have a PCMCA slot so I think I know what I'm looking for now, however I didn't know that I had to be near an access point.

There are also USB wireless adapters. Again good advice on sticking with the same brand as your router. Not crucial but it eliminates 1/2 the hassles.

patio. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back