Laptop Fan's Spin 24/7 RIGHT???

Status
Not open for further replies.

maniac_lonestar

Ok I was wondering if Laptop Fans spin without EVER TAKING A SINGLE BREAK. This is because my fans dont' spin sometimes. In fact the CPU fan spins less often. I also know that most modern Laptop's have built in fan programs, but even if I max out fan performance or disabling the fan program, the damn laptop fans dont spin 24/7.

So I have a few questions for the laptoppers here:

1. Does your fan spin nonstop ... 24/7?

2. How many fans do you have? Their Function?

3. And does your CPU fan not spin as much as the other BIGGER fans?

1. No, it only spins if I close the lid and use and external monitor, or run a high stress program for a while

2. One big fan. It's a CPU fan (durr)

3. Well, on my other lappy the other fans run more/faster than the CPU fan most of the time (excluding the stuff from #1.)

A Sony Vaio, say circa 2003 PCE-FRV35, cycles it's two fans off and on even at idle or standby on AC power. This system recently had the fans, DC input jack and motherboard, and the CD/DVD R/W combo drive replaced. $885

Depends totally on the brand and model. Some stay off until needed. Others power up and down. While still others turn and coast, then speed up when the heat goes up. some laptops have five fans, one of which is always turning... while others are there to move hot air out and pull cool air in.
Most engineers and designers belief the system works better if fans are always turning, because they allow return to high speed more quickly, and because it actually simplifies design parameters. However that is conflict with battery life. Good designs take into account both cooling and battery reserve.

my toshiba mx35-s161 runs the fan periodically --
regardless of A/C or battery powered -- according to the power profile.

when hybernating, it consumes no power so there's no need for cooling.

Thanks you guys, thats all helpful for me!

Here are my observations: Toshiba P25

1. Fans spin sometimes, CPU fan rarely spins.

2. I have two fans that basically cool off the motherboard area. And the cpu fan is slmaller BUT in between the two biggerr ones.

3. My fans seem weak all of em, I vaccumed them when I was still inexperienced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back