Laptop first boots into freezeville, reboots normally

My friend has a Lenova laptop running Ubuntu Mint 19.1 and when the computer has been off for a while or idle for quite a spell it goes into freezeville. All function either stops or lags really bad. I've done rollbacks (timeshifts) and broken package repair procedures. It's a pretty new system and I am hoping it's not a hardware issue. This started happening around a month ago or a bit more.

I am not a Linux expert by any stretch and not really a laptop guy either. My friend primarily uses her system for watching videos and general surfing. I don't recall off hand how much RAM is on the system, but it's not meager. I suspect the HD or some other device may be going into an idle mode and is having trouble waking, but all power saver options have been set to Never and the system is always being run from wall power. The thing that makes me suspect it may be hardware related is that the system slug out began over a month ago culminating in this issue and the system boots fine after the initial crash and has no issues unless left idle for too long or turned off for too long.

I was going to figure out how to view the background processes and research them one by one (PITA for Linux noob like me) but if it's likely a hardware issue I am not going to bother. Expert input would be appreciated.

PS: I've read in another thread someone having similar issues with a Windows PC.

Back