TechSpot

Laptop Hard Drive partitioning help

By Anonymooses
Dec 30, 2009
  1. I recently got a new hard drive (160gb) for an older laptop, to replace the dying 30gb drive it previously had

I partitioned the new drive with two partitions, a system drive and a storage drive. Windows XP chose to install on the E drive, and the C drive was left blank. In order to correct this, since I thought it would confuse me, I decided to go into the registry, following a microsoft knowledge base article, and changed the drive letters. I changed C to E and E to C

Now, windows boots properly, but when it gets to the welcome screen, no accounts are displayed, and instead, there is a windows XP logo in the center. I believe that this is due to the fact that windows didn't move the Documents and Settings folder to the new partition, when it moved the windows directory.

I do not have a functional CD drive, so is there any way, using a floppy boot disk or other means, to access a command prompt window without accessing a windows account.

**Safe mode doesn't work either***

2. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,398   +169

> You should only be changing drive letters using a partition manager
    > You can even just use Windows built-in Disk Management snap-in
    > See this MS KB to use Windows built-in Disk Management

However, given your current state of things, i honestly think you're best of reformatting the whole drive and reinstalling Windows as it's not at all clear the state of your registry/accounts/drives/etc.

I would reformat the entire disk as C:
    > Install XP onto C:
    > Then I'd use a good free partition manager (like EASUS Partition Manager) to resize C, create a D partition and then you can move what you want to it

3. Anonymooses

Anonymooses TS Rookie Topic Starter

Yeah, I guess I could do that. I just finished setting up all of my old files and programs, so I would like to somehow avoid reformatting

Thanks for the feedback, though

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.