Laptop not recognizing internet connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLZ286

Im having a problem with my laptop not being able to go online. When I restart the laptop its ok but when I close it it goes into hibernate mode. When I open it back up the internet wont work. I tried restarting the modem, unplugging the cables, everything. When I type in the ip address it shows that the internet is connected but firefox, or anything that uses the internet wont work. I've also tried ipconfig /renew and that doesnt do anything. The only solution is to restart the computer but its getting a little annoying to have to restart it everytime.

is this a wired or wireless connection to the Internet?

I hibernate my L.T. regularly on a wired connection, so make sure you have the
latest drivers and router firmware.

When you hibernate the machine, are there any programs running or websites streaming music to you? I have seen my daughter's laptop (Vista) have connectivity problems when she has hibernated it, and one of the MP3 sites was streaming music that she was listening to. It also affected performance. A re-boot fixes it. Not that bad of a fix.

Yes, I leave programs running, typically Thunderbird(email) and Firefox(browser).
RARELY do I leave iTunes running. I've also gone to stopping Outlook as whenever
I switch users or return from hibernation, Outlook goes 100% for no reason and I
resort to KILLing it.

My connection is a wired connection. Im on xp and when I hibernate the only program that I leave running is thunderbird. Last summer this same thing happend but eventually it went away on its own. One day out of nowhere I could go online after hibernating but I dont remember doing anything, if I did I would do that again.

Turn on power saving for the wired connection also wireless if you have that feature.

I found a box in the properties for my network adapter that said "Allow the computer to turn of this device to save power" and I tried checking it and unchecking it but it did nothing. Now its not even when I hibernate, it seems to happen now too when im playing a game and dont use the internet for a couple of hours. When I come back it wont work.

This is a bit of a reach, but it is possible that an automatic Windows update changed something in your networking configuration or code last summer and that was what got you going again with the Internet. One potentially painful way to test this out would be to use System Restore to take you back to the point where you had no problems and then re-install your new applications, one by one, to see if one of them is giving you the problem. You would also have to do this with Windows updates to see if it was one of them that is causing you this problem. Hopefully, someone else has a less work intenstive option before you go to this one, though...

Im not 100% sure its a problem with the computer though. I think it might have something to do with my internet because for the past few months I have been at college and have had no problems with the internet there, and now this happens only when I come home. I dont know why because there are 2 other laptops in my home and none of them have this problem and one of them is the same exact one as the one I have.

here's a scripted version for flushing the DNS so can save and redo anytime
run->cmd
echo ipconfig /flushdns >flushDNS.bat
echo net stop "DNS Client" >>flushDNS.bat
echo net start "DNS Client" >>flushDNS.bat​

now anytime you need it
run->cmd
.\flushDNS.bat

(ps: you need an admin account or network admin privs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back