Laptop ram ddr2 vs ddr3

Xclusiveitalian

I have a HP dv7-1285dx(Windows 7 64bit) laptop that has 6 gb ddr2 ram in it installed factory. I was considering getting maybe ddr3 (2)4GBs sticks to put in. I mostly use my laptop for video watching(twice, youtube) and ofcourse games.

Is it worth the upgrade?

Why all of a sudden does ram seem to be so expensive?

Any help/advice is appreciated.

Damn really, that's disappointing. Would there be a benefit to going with 8 GB ddr2? Currently, I have a 4gb and 2gb ddr2 sticks in there.

Yes, Not a extreme amount. But you would notice . Make sure if you do. To stay with the same type memory. Hp computers can sometimes be fussy,. You may want to go to http://www.crucial.com and run a scan on your laptop. To make sure it will support 8 gigs. Plus to know the exact memory. You will need.

This laptop will support 8GB of DDR2 memory. Make sure you get the same speed as the original modules though, and install 2-4GB modules, not 1-8GB module

I personally wouldn't waste the money. 6GB is plenty if you're still using a laptop with DDR2 RAM slots.

6GB by 1-4GB module and a 2GB module. It may benefit from replacing the 2GB module with a 4GB module to enable dual channel mode

Back