Laptop randomly shuts down, won't power up

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started having this problem about 4 days ago. I run my laptop with its power cord in all the time...wasn't doing anything and it had some stuff like AIM and word running and then just shut off.

I'd HAD problems with the AC power jack coming off of the motherboard before so I assumed it was a battery thing, but I hadn't gotten a battery warning. Wouldn't turn on...acted like it wasn't getting power even though the power CORD was lit up.

Took it in...of course, powered up for them and they found nothing wrong.

Has happened a few more times since then. Will just randomly shut off and then not turn back on. Sometimes for a few minutes, sometimes hours.

Can I rule out viruses and anything software related since it acts like it isn't getting any power when it is off and plugged in? (light should be blinking) Any ideas of what the problem could be? Hard to diagnose when the thing acts just fine at the repair place!

I've been having the same problem with my laptop too. I have an IBM Thinkpad T23 and I've been running Speedfan recently and I've noticed that my CPU temp usually hovers around 154 deg. F or about 68 deg. C. I'm thinking that maybe it's the CPU overheating for the both of us. I've noticed that I can have it just sit there for over 3 days straight, but when I go to use it to write an essay or whatever, it'll shut off on me (The Prof. loves that one :D). That's my reasoning on it.. and maybe that's why it didn't do that for the repair guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back