Laptop recommendations wanted

By JesseM
Dec 26, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. I'm trying to help my mom buy a new laptop, but I don't have much experience with lower-end computers. I'm hoping someone can help point out a good laptop or laptop maker.

She will be using the laptop for simple tasks: email, web browsing, and Netflix watch now. Because she is using Netflix watch now the laptop will need a video output, preferably HDMI to minimize cables. She would prefer a larger screen, so web books are pretty much out of the question. Battery life, portability, touch pad, etc don't matter because she will use the laptop at home 99.99% of the time. Also, she doesn't have a need for an HDD larger than a few GB.

She wants to spend as little as possible, and is not willing to pay more than $500.

Any ideas/input? Thanks!
  2. CAMusing

CAMusing TS Enthusiast Posts: 179

3. Eigfrost

Eigfrost TS Rookie Posts: 21

Packard Bell might be worth a look, too, a budget model such as the Easynote LM (there's a review here). It has an HDMI port, 17.3 inch display, and the reviewer notes that it's “bright, vivid and great for watching movies on”.
  4. JesseM

JesseM TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 219

Thanks guys, I did check out your recommendations, but I decided to go the much less expensive route and got her an Asus netbook with HDMI out. I couldn't find a laptop without all the superfluous accessories and hardware that my mom didn't need, and once I found out that HDMI ports have been showing up in netbooks I was set. It will do all the things she needs and not much more, doesn't have a huge hard drive, etc. The screen is 10.1-in which isn't bad at all, and the small size and weight are bonuses even though she didn't need them. All this for $320 and it was a no-brainer.

Thanks again for your help!