TechSpot

laptop running slow after AVG uninstall

By karl hogarth
Jun 5, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi,
    I recently installed AVG AS on my girlfriends laptop only to find the system running slow. She already had Norton installed on it. I uninstalled AVG only to find it still slow. I system restored it to find it better still slow, and now Norton wouldn't auto update. I dowloaded the Norton uninstaller , uninstalled it and reinstalled Norton again. It updates OK but the computer is still very slow to start up and the hard disk seems to take ages to settle down after startup, as well as running slow. I also during this time in stalled iTunes for her which has completely rearranged her music collection. I had to take all her music off ther hard drive a defrag 4 times to sort out the HD. It's still slow. any ideas ? She's well pissed off with me.
  2. momok

momok TS Rookie Posts: 2,272

3. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

Uninstall Symantec/Norton via this removal tool HERE.

Then, install one of the antivirus and firewall programmes below.

AVG free or Avast antivirus programmes.

Zonealarm, Kerio or Comodo free firewall programmes.

Finally, go and read this thread HERE and post a HJT log as an attachment into this thread.

Regards Howard :)
  4. karl hogarth

karl hogarth TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 26

I have uninstalled Norton and installed AVG free and scanned with no infections found.
    I tried to install Kerio but i got error 28201 the VPN driver could not be installed.
    I ran Hijackthis. The log is attached
    Thank you
  5. howard_hopkinso

Your HJT log is clean.

Redownload Kerio and try the install again. If you still have problems, try one of the other free firewall programmes I linked.

6. karl hogarth

any ideas as to why its slow to start ?
  7. howard_hopkinso

I take it you read the thread about speeding up your system?

If so and it`s still slow, it`s possible a reformat and reinstall would solve it. When was the last time you did that? If that doesn`t help, then a hard drive problem could be a possibility.

8. karl hogarth

I ran Adaware and avgas and Spybot to start with, it's just weird that the problems started after i uninstalled avgas, then I system restored hoping to solve the slowness. Is it possible the registry is messed up ?
  9. howard_hopkinso

Yes, it`s entirely possible the registry is corrupted in some way.

I know it`s probably not something you want to do, but a reformat and reinstall may be the best way to proceed.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.