TechSpot

Laptop stopped asking for password

By Howard Dare
Aug 11, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. I have a toshiba satellite C870-11H. It used to ask for the password whenever it went to sleep. I checked and the system is still set to do so.

Some time ago I got fed up with the clowns at Microsoft thinking their latest update was more important than whatever I happened to be doing and destroying the work I was doing so they could load their rubbish. I set the system to ask me before doing an update. Well it doesn't bother to do that and now very rarely it does load an update without authority. Could it be that my system is now way out of date?

Is there a customer focused operating system that I could use instead?

Thanks.

2. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,475   +624

Every OS is customer focused. Microsoft is for non-Mac machines and getting things done. Linux is more powerful but requires more techy-ness to use.

Maybe try Mac OSX.

But there's nothing wrong with Windows. Sounds like you have a decent amount of problems.

1. Run WIndows update, make sure it's completed every update.
    2. Run CMD.exe in admin mode, run sfc /scannow

3. Howard Dare

Howard Dare TS Rookie Topic Starter

Update has brought back the password control, thank you.

How do I initiate admin mode?

Thanks

4. St1ckM4n

Start > "cmd" > right-click > Run as Administrator

5. Howard Dare

You will love this! Where do I find "start"?

6. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,469   +327

On ANY shortcut, right-click and pull down to Run As Admin

7. St1ckM4n

Bottom-left of screen? :p Start, the Windows flag icon. Or press it on your keyboard.

SNGX1275 likes this.
  8. Howard Dare

OK, thank you but neither of those suggestions work. The windows flag gives a search box in the bottom left and although clicking on a shortcut does give a "run as administrator", that is only for the shortcut program.

I know I seem to be a complete numpty, but given that in the seventies I used to program in Coral 66, Fortran iv and Cobol, I am not completely lacking in technical appreciation. Unfortunately, today the fashion is to let some little geek have uncontrolled development rights on the software everybody uses so that the look and feel is constantly changing. Here is an example where my screen is not the same as yours.

In this respect, microsoft is only very annoying, king of the hill is Yahoo whose geek has installed a new version that throws away vital content in stored emails.

Back to the problem: I would like to complete on the initial advice, so if anyone knows what to do next, please let me know.

9. St1ckM4n

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.