Laptop w/ AMD processor: wise choice?

By videobruce
Sep 3, 2004
  1. I'm looking at a HP Laptop w/ a AMD processor. The only choices I see are:
    HP
    Compaq
    E-Machines
    Avertec (sp?)
    I REALLY don't want a Wintel model UNLESS someone can come up with a very valid reason(s) that the mobile AMD's are either problem prone or something along those lines. I don't want to get into a AMD vs Wintel discussion here.

I understand that AMD has had a long history of having a higher current draw and running hotter (goes hand in hand). I can probably live with that since I don't travel and this isn't for any business purposes.

I was just concerned since AMD is the newer player to the mobile market if there was any indication of outstanding problems.

Office Depot has a HP zv5000z series with $300 in rebates for the next couple of days that you configure at the store and they ship it to you (you pay shipping).

Input? Thanks...............

2. KA3

KA3 TS Rookie Posts: 31

I have a hp ze4500 with a xp2500+m cpu and have had no problems with overheat or instability in general. XP-m's have "power now" so that they run at lower clock speeds when not being used heavily, this reduces power consumption greatly. From my experience, I think I could watch a full length movie and still have anywhere from 30-60 minutes left on battery. I guess my point is that AMD is definately a solid choice for a mobile processor. And it won't cost you your first born like a centrino either!

3. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,345   +11

Is it for multimedia / gaming purposes then?

If it's for just light use, don't forget Transmeta and VIA, who also make CPUs suitable for laptops (Transmeta Crusoe / GigaPro, VIA Antaur / Nehemiah).

4. videobruce

videobruce TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 93

Playing DVD's (rarely) some mulitmedia, some gaming (not real intensive). Not to be used often.

5. KA3

KA3 TS Rookie Posts: 31

did i mention that im playing the WoW stress test beta with my laptop... well i am and it runs quite nicely (with the settings down of course). multimedia-wise I use WMP 10 and its is very nice...

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.