laptops and graphics -- PC card slots, docking stations?

By lantz
Aug 10, 2005
  1. hey, everyone.

i have just begun delving into the realm of laptop graphics cards (trying to play GTA:SA, in addition to getting greedy now that the seed's been planted :slurp: ). i've picked up some bits around here that i want to pick your brains about... i have a toshiba satellite (p25-s507) with a GeForce FX Go5200, 32mb video card. i understand there's no way to upgrade this within the notebook, but I'm wondering about two things: docking stations and PC card slots. can i "upgrade" my video card through either of these? i know docking stations can support printers, extra monitors, etc... can they support a different graphics card, so i can switch over when my comp's docked? or this fancy-shmancy PC slot that everyone told me i could "upgrade later" with but haven't used yet... can a video card go in that slot?!

my apologies if this is complete newb-babble, hehe. thanks for any help!
  2. vnf4ultra

vnf4ultra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,388

I don't think there's any way to get it upgraded. The only way is to buy a laptop with a fast gpu to start with, which isn't too easy.

A side note: There are usb 2.0 graphics cards to add a second monitor to some pc's, but they are likely much slower than your 5200. I think the company is called triton IIRC, they used to have them at newegg, not sure if they still do.
  3. x-grayman-x

x-grayman-x TS Rookie

hey guys i have reccently bought the game world of warcraft and my graphics card is not good enough i was just wondering if there is anyway to get a better graphics card for my laptop it is a travelmate 4064WLWMi and a intel grahpics acceltorator 900 please help
  4. nickslick74

nickslick74 TS Rookie Posts: 575

Like it has been mentioned in other threads, for most laptops you are limited to what they come with. There are a few of the more expensive laptops that you can change the g card on and they are usually running on a PCIe slot. USB 2.0 card would be incredibly slow due to the low bandwidth and docking stations are out of the question.
  5. x-grayman-x

x-grayman-x TS Rookie

so wat yor saying is there is no way to get a graphics card good enough to play world of warcraft on my laptop
  6. nickslick74

nickslick74 TS Rookie Posts: 575

Probably not. Laptops with changeable gpus are pretty rare, which is one of the downfalls of gaming on a laptop (which I do right now).
  7. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 5,734   +7

You need to buy a new laptop if you want better CPU, graphics, etc.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.