Latest Battlefield 4 patch attacks camera height issues, crashing, hit-detection problems

Russ Boswell

Let me start off by saying that I am one of the unfortunate ones that is attempting to play Battlefield 4 on an Xbox One. I say unfortunate because I still don't have have access to the newest patch that DICE released in an attempt to fix their seriously broken first-person shooter. Playstation 4 and PC have both seen an update that promises to fix two of the biggest issues plaguing the title. These updates will be welcomed news to those of you who have been riddled with bullets thanks to some seriously poor and lagging hit-detection. 

An official entry on the Battlelog from trydling notes the following about the recent fixes:

Shot behind cover when changing stance

"Sometimes the character stance could get into a multiple frame desync and be part of the problem where you got shot even though your character was actually behind cover. This would mostly affect players doing transitions into crouch and prone as well as moving when crouched. The impact was smaller in a standing stance. This bug fix eliminates this particular desync issue."

I can't tell you how many times I have fallen victim to this exact problem. It is nearly impossible right now to poke your head out around a corner or to duck behind cover when you're taking shots in a firefight without literally losing your mind. This is definitely welcome news, but what about all of you players out there who can't even play a match long enough to find out if you're experiencing any of these bugs? Don't worry, there were a slew of crash-fixes introduced in this patch as well. Trydling also listed the following fixes in the official post:

-Fixed one of the most frequently occurring client crashes
-Fixed broken collision on containers with open doors. The bug previously made grenades bounce back even though the doors were open.
-Fixed a bug in Defuse mode where defenders could win the round by killing all the attackers without disarming the bomb, if the bomb was disarmed in the previous round.
-Miscellaneous stability fixes further reducing the number of client crashes
-Fixed side gunner jitter when aiming in attack boats & transport helicopters
-Fixed some instances of frame rate drops when shooting at large Levolution objects after they have been destroyed (like the radar dish on Rogue Transmission)
-Fixed broken aiming for passengers on the China Rising dirt bike
-Fixed a bug where the sound when capturing a flag was not playing correctly
-Removed a bug that would double save during MP round transition and SP level transition. This fix will reduce the occurrence of corrupted save files.

Developers have also increased the camera height when "crouching and moving" in order to capture a more accurate representation of your soldiers height in a crouched stance. DICE felt that the previous camera angle was too low, which could sometimes cause the illusion that you were in cover completely, when your head was actually poking out the entire time. Hopefully these fixes will continue to progress us towards a "completely fixed" title in the near future.

Permalink to story.

Wow! what a POS game!
Is this an EA game!? oh snap! it is!! I knew it...

It's guests like you that give guests like me a bad name...

The game works fine for me. The frame-rate at which another player see's you can also be affected by internet link speeds. I've had the game crash twice in over a month which is nothing to cry about. After this patch though I've noticed now there seems to be an issue showing the friendly-player icon above the players head...odd.
*nerd*

After this patch though I've noticed now there seems to be an issue showing the friendly-player icon above the players head...odd.
*nerd*

This has been an issue since the game was first released, mainly when in Hardcore mode but yeah, the blue dots above peoples heads has always been quite glitchy and is usually the reason you get team killed a lot.

Overall though it is a big improvement, I stopped playing it for the last couple of weeks but got a proper play through last night and I must say it is much improved, very happy now, still a few niggles and the one shot bug still exists in certain scenarios, but still no where near as annoying and frustrating as before, Love it now.

After this patch though I've noticed now there seems to be an issue showing the friendly-player icon above the players head...odd.
*nerd*

This has been an issue since the game was first released, mainly when in Hardcore mode but yeah, the blue dots above peoples heads has always been quite glitchy and is usually the reason you get team killed a lot.

Overall though it is a big improvement, I stopped playing it for the last couple of weeks but got a proper play through last night and I must say it is much improved, very happy now, still a few niggles and the one shot bug still exists in certain scenarios, but still no where near as annoying and frustrating as before, Love it now.

I've noticed that only on teammates that are squad leaders (little star on top). The blue dots only show when you're aiming directly at them. Very anoying.

There's been good progress considering the amount wrong. I still got a client crash post this patch but in game is quite solid now. Just wish this was the level of stability of the beta.

Also DICE now have a bugfix/issues tracker thread now. That's a positive in transparency for me...

I've noticed that only on teammates that are squad leaders (little star on top). The blue dots only show when you're aiming directly at them. Very anoying.
It is the most annoying thing in the game currently, I don't get why Dice haven't mentioned it at all, if it's by designit's really gay xD

Last week after a patch, I started having a very bad crashing issue with the game. I would crash at the end of every game at the minimum...sometimes it would happen midgame. After the patch from a few days ago, I haven't crashed a single time (outside my memory issues). The only time I crash is running the game on the highest settings 5970x1080 (run out of ram @ 16gb). I dropped the gun effects to high and left everything else at ultra and it never crashes.

Last week after a patch, I started having a very bad crashing issue with the game. I would crash at the end of every game at the minimum...sometimes it would happen midgame. After the patch from a few days ago, I haven't crashed a single time (outside my memory issues). The only time I crash is running the game on the highest settings 5970x1080 (run out of ram @ 16gb). I dropped the gun effects to high and left everything else at ultra and it never crashes.
If you aren't getting crashes then you aren't trying hard enough! :p

Most of the crashes I experience are action related like jumping a railing then hitting the prone button, sprint and turning 90 degrees simultaneously or something else obscure. They are 100% definitely still there and there are still quite a few of them.

If you aren't getting crashes then you aren't trying hard enough! :p

Most of the crashes I experience are action related like jumping a railing then hitting the prone button, sprint and turning 90 degrees simultaneously or something else obscure. They are 100% definitely still there and there are still quite a few of them.
I mentioned the memory bug that I have but I think that's because it actually takes that much ram for ultra on three screens.
Haven't been trying? Phesh, I have over 100 hours already. I feel like I have no life outside battlefield and grad school.

Back