Lavabit founder Ladar Levison raises $100,000 for legal defense

Shawn Knight

Staff member

It’s been roughly one week since the founder of secure e-mail provider Lavabit, Ladar Levison, elected to shut down the service instead of complying with apparent demands from the government. The 32-year old entrepreneur that ran the e-mail service from his Dallas apartment isn’t going down without a fight, however, as a legal fund he set up in the days following the closure has already raised more than $100,000.

Levison told NBC News that he could be arrested for shutting down the service instead of complying with surveillance orders but was unable to speak any more on the subject. A source familiar with the situation, however, told the publication that senior litigation counsel James Trump sent an e-mail to Levison’s lawyer on the day the service shut down.

encrypted lavabit fundraiser

In that message, Trump allegedly said Levison may have violated the court order. The court order in question isn’t known but many suspect it could be a sealed subpoena or even a national security letter requesting he cooperate with surveillance.

Trump did not reply to a request for comment from NBC, we’re told. He’s most recently known for being a lead attorney on high-profile leak investigations surrounding former CIA officers Jeffrey Sterling and John Kiriakou.

Lavabit gained notoriety after it was revealed that NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden was using the service to set up meetings with human rights activists during his time at Moscow’s Sheremetyevo Airport.

Permalink to story.

The US is sinking quickly into a quagmire that hasn't been seen since the last days of the Roman Empire.. So myopic and self involved are the people in power they fail to see that the country is coming apart at the edges..

Ranger1st, I beg to differ. I believe that the people in power know exactly what they are doing. What they are doing only gives them more power. It's the people who voted them into office who are the clueless.

I'm sure the last Emperors of the western empire though they knew what they were doing too.

Ranger1st, I beg to differ. I believe that the people in power know exactly what they are doing. What they are doing only gives them more power. It's the people who voted them into office who are the clueless.

You sound as if we actually had options when voting. I sir, beg to differ with you! I do agree with you on one thing though, people are clueless otherwise they would ban together and stop this crap now.

You sound as if we actually had options when voting. I sir, beg to differ with you! I do agree with you on one thing though, people are clueless otherwise they would ban together and stop this crap now.

Just let me know when and where. This crap needs to stop, this government needs to be brought to justice.

Another demonstration of how "absolute power corrupts absolutely". The Govt needs to be reminded by the people they are not an untouchable power. They still have to abide by the moral standards of society.

Time for personal accountability for human rights violations. The people putting in these sealed laws need to be prevented from doing so. Transparency ensures the people have confidence in the administration & the administration is not putting in immoral laws for which the public can't hold them to account.

I'm amazed freedom of speech doesn't override the gag order. Why is that?

The only option America has got is to wake up and not elect one of the two party system democrat and republicans...as they support the fed reserve and is a source of this corruption;of course if a libertarian is elected then he or she will be assassinated so revolution may be the only option.

Back