LCD Display - No Signal Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonytheX

Hello,

I'm a little new to the tech world. I'm having an issue with my display not receiving a signal. It was working perfectly fine before, but I moved and now it won't work. I have another CRT monitor that works when it is plugged into the VGA port on my video card, but I cannot get a signal when I use the DVI connection on the LCD. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
~Tony

Hi, and thank you! I tried using just the LCD display by itself, but when it didn't receive a signal, I plugged in the CRT and did get a signal (when both were connected at the same time). Initially it was only the LCD by itself when it didn't work.

Did you try both dvi ports (if you have 2 on teh card)? what kind of video card do you have? are there any video card settings in the bios that you could chaneg that might help?

I have an MSI GeForce 6600GT. It has one DVI port and one VGA one. The display that I have is a ViewSonic VX2025wm (also has one DVI and VGA port).

I played around with it a little more and I'm not sure if the following may be relevant to the issue. I found my VGA cable and got the display to work with it, but I cannot set the display to show 1680x1050 resolution - I think this is the native resolution of the display. When I try to change the resolution, the 1068x1050 is not an option. It jumps from 1600x1200 to 1920x1080. I'm not sure how to change this back.

Thanks again for all your help!! =)

with your video card, you might have to go in to the nvidia control panel and create a "custom resolution" aka picking one out that isn't officially supported by the card.

The MSI GeForce 6600GT will only work well on certain motherboards... 8x/4x AGP... but it is a good card, in our experience. But check to see if it will handle the ranges between 1600x1200 and 1920x1080. There have been excellent test reviews, but I cannot remember what they say.
We find the Viewsonic VX2025wm to be a different matter. Viewsonic is no longer the same company that built the incredible and heavy CRT monitors that lasted for 7 to 10 years. We have had four of these in our shop, all with significant problems. This monitor did get excellent reviews by all sorts of places, but we find too many failures... starting out with frequencies it refuses to handle, and ending up in failure.
Do a Google search to see what the video card does above 1600, then look for similar problems via Google search on the monitor. Our guess is the monitor cannot handle it due to the system board.

Thanks for the tips!

Even creating a custom resolution did not work though =/ The motherboard that I'm using is a MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum.

The thing is that this is not a new system or anything, and it did work with this setup before. I moved, and the issues had begun when I hooked everything up again at the new place. I do not believe anything to have been damaged during the move.

I did try to create a custom resolution, but that did not work either. The display periodically shows a "resolution notice" advising that it should be changed to 1680x1050, even after the cusom resolution was made.

I'm still currently at a loss as to what to do. Thanks again for your suggestions!

Thanks,
~Tony

First, my suspicions are on the LCD monitor... based on our repair history with Viewsonic LCD's.
If you can humor me by trying the monitor on another computer, that will tell a lot and help focus on the problem. If it works on the other computer, then try the video card in that other computer.
Now you have gotten somewhere.

Unfortunately I do not have another computer that this video card will fit in. I was able to hook up the display to another old computer through the VGA port (the old system that I'm using does not have a DVI port - it has integrated graphics). I am able to get a signal to the display all the way until Windows starts up. I see the windows loading screen and all, but as soon as that is done, an "out of range" message appears on the display. I'm not sure how much this helps, as the display was able to receive a picture through the VGA connection with my "newer" system.

Thanks,
~Tony

Out of range is another video error where the monitor and the graphics output do not match... could be a bad monitor, but could also be a bad setup of video graphics.

I'm assuming that when I have the "out of range' message, the display is still getting a signal (through the VGA connection). I see the bios and Windows starting up and all, so I'm thinking the resolution setting must not be supported by the display. This is done on the "alternate" old computer.

When I use the DVI connection on my current setup, I get a "no signal" message on the display. However, I am able to get a picture when I use the VGA connection, although I am not able to change the resolution to match that of the native resolution of my display (1680x1050). This leads me to believe that in order to get a signal from the DVI connection, I need to be able to change the resolution to 1680x1050, as this was how my system had been set up and working beforehand. The problem is that I don't have the option to change my resolution to match this.... at least that's what I think the problem is...

Thanks,
~Tony

The Out of Range error usually means that the video adapter exceeds the scan range of the monitor. The refresh rate (video card setting) is incompatible with the monitor.
I still suspect your ViewSonic system board.
You can attempt to resolve this problem by changing the refresh rate or changing the settings of the video card... or driver.

You change the refresh rate by rebooting from a cold boot in SAFE MODe (press F8 once each second until the startup menu appears, then press 3, and then enter and you should be in Safe Mode.
Click ->Advanced -> click Adapter -> Click Adapter Default -> OK -> OK -> Yes -> Restart the computer in normal mode.
Change the Video Card driver settings -> Start in Safe Mode as above -> Right Click on Properties -> Click settings -> Click Advanced -> Click Adapter -> Click on Change -> Next -> Display a List of All the Drivers in a Specific Location so as to select the driver you wish -> Click Next -> Show All Hardware -> Standard Display Types under Manfacturers -> Click Standard Display Adapter (VGA> -> Next -> Yes -> Newxt -> Click Finish -> Yes to restart -> Upon Restart -> right click on Desktop -> Properties -> Settings -> 256 colors -> Apply -> Restart the comptuer.
Upon Restart -> Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Double Click System -> Click Device Manager -> Vie Devices by type -> Display Adapters -> Click Standard Display Adapter (VGA) -> Click Remvoe -> then click OK
Now install the monitor drivers if used, and reinstall the Video card adapters -> then reset the machine.

For DVI, just change the above as appropriate.

If removing and reinstalling the drivers, your problem is in the monitor, and recent history of the Viewsonic is not good... so contact Viewsonic teach support or your reseller.

Thanks so much for the tips! Unfortunately I think my system just crapped out (I'm at my work station atm).

I tried to follow your instructions beforehand, but only got as far as the "adapter" tab. I am unable to find everything beyond that in your instructions. I'm not sure if this makes a difference, but I'm running Windows XP Pro. I decided to let it rest after that and enjoy the Christmas day, but when I came back to make another attempt, my hdd failed, so I'm out of luck until I find another one.

Anyway, I want to thank you all for all the support you gave (I may be back with more issues soon). I hope y'all are enjoying the holiday season!!

Thanks,
~Tony

Maybe this could help..

I had the same problem .. I had to unplug my DVI cable and plug in back in .. sometimes into my second DVI port. once i got the screen come up though my resolution wouldnt seem to change past 1024x768 . i finally fixed this by unplugging the monitor from THE POWER PLUG for about 5 minutes and plugged it back in TO THE POWER PLUG and rebooted and is running great once again . maybe also reinstalling your driver might help after you've resett your monitor.

good luck

Twist_nz, Please do not dig up these 2 year old threads to answer them, no one is watching them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back