lcd life

Status
Not open for further replies.

chunky

i heard that inside lcd monitors there is some kind of bulb that provides its backlight. If so, how long does the lcd usually last before the bulb goes out? CAn it be replaced or do i have to buy a new monitor?

I don't think that is true, or at least in the way that it sounds. Monitors are not supposed to "burn out" like a light bulb would.

CRT and LCD Backlight Life

quote:

Typical CRT life is 10,000 to 20,000 hours. Typical LCD backlight lamps last 20,000 to 30,000 hours.

> LCD backlights last about twice as long as CRTs and cost less to replace.

> LCDs backlights can be field replaced without the need for test equipment. CRT replacement requires special test equipment and cannot be replaced in the field. CRTs must be shipped to a repair depot resulting in increased down time and higher shipping costs.

> CRT monitors are much heavier than LCD monitors resulting in higher costs to ship monitors to repair depots.

> LCDs are considered to be higher performance monitors than CRTs.

lcd's

can't achieve 1600x1200 rez until you get into the 20" models.......which i am currently perusing........yet a 22" crt is an option, as i have the desk space, not to mention the money saved.......lcd's also suffer from pixel death, of which more than 15 dead pixels is required for return..........add to that, the nit quality of the lcd, as 250 nits would be considered average............but, maybe duped into a lower nit count in a bargain brand..............for me, this is basically it................1000 for the 20" lcd or 400 for the 22/ 250 for the 21" crt's.........so you know what i'm thinkin'..............might as well get the best videocard on the market together with the crt.......and, maybe a cpu upgrade just to fill in the remaining dollars....

CRTs also look sharp at ANY resolution, unlike LCDs that only look good at native resolution or a sub-multiple.

For a 1600x1200 LCD, you are best to run it at either 1600x1200, or 800x600, if you want sharp visuals.

Something else I don't like about high resolution like 1600x1200 is that all your icons are too small and you need to move the mouse a lot just to get across that screen. Very tiring and easy to miss your target icon.

I think 1280x1024 is my ideal, and it doesn't cause too much performance hit in games.

Currently I am quite happy with the 1024x768 that I use (CRT), though I'd much prefer an LCD. I also tend to turn the brightness down to minimun most of the time as otherwise it hurts my eyes after long periods staring at white backgrounds. LCDs are plenty bright, unless you like viewing in direct sunlight, which is generally not a good idea.

i always use 16x12

with logitech's built in software, mouse acceleration is not an issue...........and, for some reason affords much better visibilty, in games where there are sniper modes, etc..........but, nic, you are correct about native rez............and, your videocard better push it, or the monitor will not perform........and, you had better be viewing the lcd, head on..............as, it is not very forgiving in viewer angles.........so, there you have it

Backlights exist and backlights also tend to not be as reliable as CRTs... Judging by the amount of TFT repairs we get at the shop. It would make sense to me they would higher life expectancy though.. They use less voltage, generate less heat and are much smaller than CRT tubes & guns.

judging by the tft repairs we get at the shop?

that's the clincher......crt, here i come...:grinthumb

Originally posted by Rick
Backlights exist and backlights also tend to not be as reliable as CRTs... Judging by the amount of TFT repairs we get at the shop. It would make sense to me they would higher life expectancy though.. They use less voltage, generate less heat and are much smaller than CRT tubes & guns.
Backlights are supposed to last longer than CRTs.

Perhaps that the reason for more TFTs turning up at your shop is that TFTs are expensive, and so most users will want to get them repaired, whereas CRTs are cheap and not economically viable to repair.

I know that I would throw out a CRT if it expired, but I would not do the same to a TFT until I had established a repair cost first.

JSR: In your case, a large CRT is definitely the better choice. You could also add a TV card and use use your PC as a PVR (Personal Video Recorder). Thats what I intend to do at somepoint. I'll be able to record TV and burn onto DVD. :)

oh, really

i've just been downloaking dvd's off the web.........how's the quality?

Re: oh, really

Originally posted by JSR
i've just been downloaking dvd's off the web.........how's the quality?
I can't say, but it is adjustable, depending on how much compression you use. It should be up to broadcast quality, if you choose appropriate settings.

Take a look over here ...

Hauppauge

The WinTV-PVR-350 is the newest/best model, and the one I am considering.

PS: DVDs that you find on the web are generally very poor quality, and for new film releases, what you get is a recording from a video camera filmed at a chinese cinema (sometimes with subtitles and chinese overdubs). Not worth watching as it spoils the real thing when you eventually watch it. However, some of the Dix-X DVD conversions are ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back