Lcd screen backlight cuts off intermittently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigdeath

I have a sony 15" lcd monitor thats like 4 years old. One day it would turn on and stay on for a second or two and then the backlight would shut off. You can still see the desktop in the display if you shine light on it but no backlight. I took the sucker apart and started testing for voltage on the inverter and its a real up and down reading and when i move the board around my backlight cuts off and on. My guess is the inverter but I figured i would post here before investing any money into this thing. Thanks in advance for your help.

It sounds like a bad connection on or near the inverter. It could be a bad wire or solder joint

Sounds like a contact problem. It is 4 years old and dust/dirt builds up. Plus, it's a laptop. Have you dropped it recently?

Best to buy a new laptop. For personal use, you should replace your comp every 4 to 6 years. For business use, every 2 to 3 years. That's what I advise my customers.

For those of us that like to fix things, this type of LCD problem is much cheaper to fix than buying a new laptop or monitor/TV... Inverters $20-$40, backlights $20.

"I hope thats what it is. It would suck to buy a new one and it be something else"...

If I have a choice and can't determin what part is bad, I always buy the cheaper suspect part first

Its a desktop monitor and Im pretty sure its the inverter now that I looked at it closely. One of the transformers on it are brown on the board around it maybe it was not making contact anymore. But now I know its screwed lol. I was messing with it and the ground from the switch swung up and landed on the board while I was hitting it with a fluke and fried the sucker. I can jump the part of the board it fried and it still comes on but the inverter isn't really salvageable anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back