TechSpot

Leaked Android 4.4 KitKat images show a flattened 2D design

By Shawn Knight
Sep 23, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. With iOS 7, many people said Apple’s mobile operating system became a bit more like Android with live wallpaper, control center and the like. It’s a bit fitting then that the latest purported images of Android 4.4 KitKat seem to...

Read more

2. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,512   +314

I really hope nobody was surprised by this...

3. OneSpeed

OneSpeed TS Rookie Posts: 131   +31

Nope, not surprised when Apple copied Androids live wallpaper and control centre. What else is new??

psycros likes this.
  4. roxxas2

roxxas2 TS Rookie Posts: 64   +20

FLATTENED 2D DESIGN?! Oh you mean like METRO?! Maaan, it's everyone is taking Microsoft's work.

H3llion likes this.
  5. lipe123

lipe123 TS Guru Posts: 449   +81

Lawsuit in 3, 2, 1...

6. Reiz3rx

Reiz3rx TS Rookie

According to Androidpolice these images are Fake..

7. fimbles

fimbles TS Evangelist Posts: 1,274   +152

8. OneSpeed

OneSpeed TS Rookie Posts: 131   +31

9. NeurotechHD

NeurotechHD TS Rookie Posts: 38   +13

I really hope this new flat fad goes away soon.

St1ckM4n and psycros like this.
  10. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,128   +731

Or HTC's Sense 5.0 or iOS 7. Although I'm pretty sure Windows 95 was the first to use flat icons.

11. TheBigFatClown

TheBigFatClown TS Booster Posts: 453   +150

Blue on a white background for the phone? That looks like crap. Hell, I guess I'll just start going to some garage sales and looking for really old phones that had LCD displays with two colors. Gray and light gray. I guess 32-bit color is so yesterdays cellphone. 2-bit and 4-bit color phones are where it's at now days baby, yeah!

Excuse me while I look for a long rope to hang myself with. The world has gone mad!

psycros likes this.

12. @ MilwaukeeMike : No, I think it would have been Apple's Mac OS (1984) which Microsoft copied and released Windows 1.0 a year later.

13. psycros

psycros TS Booster Posts: 734   +230

God we can hope.

14. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,026   +913

I actually like it.

15. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Maniac Posts: 1,173   +243

Glad to see cryogenmod making headlines even if its being labled kitkat

16. TheBigFatClown

If you don't get help at Charter, Please, get help somewhere!

17. dennis777

dennis777 TS Enthusiast Posts: 281   +32

Designs are not a problem in android, they are great launchers in the market. You can even make your phone looks like a windows phone. Great customization is one of the few merits of android in my opinion.

18. p51d007

p51d007 TS Booster Posts: 333   +51

That's the nice thing about android...at least you don't have to live with the stock launcher. My Gnote came with touch Whiz....never used it. Have used Go Launcher EX pretty much since day one. Next launcher isn't bad, but for me Go EX is what I use daily.

19. JC713

Ok, what is wrong with the flat look? In my opinion is is really clean looking vs 3D. You dont have to offend people to get your point across.

20. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,095   +43

Agreed. There is a big desire for minimalist, and sometimes 2D interfaces. As far as the colors go, the guy making the comment about going to garage sales and finding old phones.... The basic phone functions might be this way, but when you watch videos and surt the web, you'll be thankful you have that beautiful display, even though you are a fan of the minimalist 2D environment.

Personally, I am not a fan of the 2D environment, usually... but I do enjoy minimalist designs in basic phone features, feel and general environment.

JC713 likes this.
  21. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,686   +86

2D less impact on the system than 3D would me more. I just wish they would fix the bugs then just release newer versions of the OS.

22. TheBigFatClown

I find your comments somewhat, how do I say this without offending....absurd maybe? There is a big desire for minimalist cellphones? That's the most ironic statement I have ever heard. If you want a minimalist cellphone go dig up the one you bought 10 years ago. Your dreams will have come true. Were in the era of smartphones now. Where people expect them to do everything under the sun including making phone calls. And you say there is a big desire for minimalist? Just like there is the land of TVs right. "Oh no, I don't want a HD television. 2 million pixels on the screen each scene is just so yesterday. Who wants all that detail? Damn crazies. Give me 640x480 and I'll be happy".

How much money is Microsoft paying you people to troll these forums? To try and convince people that the cellphones they were selling 10 years ago are what everybody wants again today?

tipstir
    They make these cool new chips called quad-core CPUs? So, I think it's safe at this point to use more than 3 colors on the current generation of cellphones.

23. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,473   +622

2D means UI elements are hard to distinguish. Is it a control, or is it an output? 3D helps to differentiate.

24. JC713

What is your problem? Some people like me like the minimalist look.

25. TheBigFatClown

Please explain what you mean when you say you like the minimalist look. What does that mean..does the concept of minimalist look carry over to everything in your life...including your operating system? I don't judge people for having preferences. I am more mad at Microsoft than anybody. For thinking everybody is the same. They have decided that nobody is unique anymore. If you don't like complicated things that's okay with me. But the less complicated something is, in general, the less customizable it will be, the less decisions will be available to you, because the decisions have already been made for you by some programmer at might Microsoft who didn't want you to have to make tough decision in life, like choosing a background image for your phone. If the white/blue color scheme for the dial pad on KitKat is not customizable I will not be happy. The color scheme on a cellphone should be left up to me. Maybe I don't like blue on white.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.