Leaked presentation claims AMD Vega GPUs won't be ready before 2017

Scorpus

Staff member

We've heard some on and off rumors over the past couple of months that suggested AMD's larger, more powerful GPU codenamed 'Vega' could launch in late 2016. However the latest set of slides, which appear to have been leaked from an AMD investor presentation, all but confirm that Vega will not be seen until 2017.

The key line in AMD's presentation says that Vega will launch "for the enthusiast market in 1H 2017", which fits with the initial roadmap AMD showed off during their Polaris launch event. The downside? We won't be seeing any high-end Radeon graphics cards until next year at the earliest.

AMD's current GPU line-up includes Polaris 10 and Polaris 11, mid-range and entry-level products designed for graphics cards in high volume markets. The most expensive Polaris part on the market today is the Radeon RX 480 8 GB at $240, which has proven to be a very popular card among system builders. The RX 480 is in so much demand that AMD has had trouble keeping it in stock since its launch in late June.

However AMD does not have any products to take on Nvidia's high-end GeForce 10 series, which includes the powerful GTX 1070 and GTX 1080. These high margin products have contributed to record profits for Nvidia, helped by effectively no competition from the AMD side. These GeForce cards will sit unopposed at the high end until 2017 at the earliest.

Permalink to story.

So how many times does AMD have to tell everyone it's 1st qtr 2017 before sites like yours believe them? This is not news....

So much for the AMD trolls claiming Vega would be out in September, guess the original launch date was accurate after all regardless of what smoke they wanted to blow out their arses.

That first keynote, AMAZING! "AMD is only one of two companies in the world who can offer high performance graphics capabilities" you know AMD is in trouble when they have to remind the investors what they do and that they only have one competitor in the industry...

So much for the AMD trolls claiming Vega would be out in September, guess the original launch date was accurate after all regardless of what smoke they wanted to blow out their arses.

That first keynote, AMAZING! "AMD is only one of two companies in the world who can offer high performance graphics capabilities" you know AMD is in trouble when they have to remind the investors what they do and that they only have one competitor in the industry...

It must be all twisted and lonely in your fantasy world of hardware fanboism.

I was referring to all the post way back in spring from people claiming Vega was going to launch before the end of the year but had no proof other than "because they know so" some of said users have since been banned funny enough.

Call me what you like, I've owned hardware from AMD, Intel and Nvidia unbiasedly over the years, and in fact use to recommend AMD to anyone on a budget, just lately AMD hasn't impressed me, no matter what the die hard supports say. Calling me a fanboy just sways my opinion of you, means nothing else to me, or likely anyone else for that matter.

I was referring to all the post way back in spring from people claiming Vega was going to launch before the end of the year but had no proof other than "because they know so" some of said users have since been banned funny enough.

Call me what you like, I've owned hardware from AMD, Intel and Nvidia unbiasedly over the years, and in fact use to recommend AMD to anyone on a budget, just lately AMD hasn't impressed me, no matter what the die hard supports say. Calling me a fanboy just sways my opinion of you, means nothing else to me, or likely anyone else for that matter.

Yes, you certainly sound unbiased.

I mostly agree. I now recommend people an i5 that's a gen or two old and a 479 or 480 by AMD. That seems to put a lot of budget gamers at a price performance sweet spot. Although an i5 with a 970 is looking pretty good with the price drop. AMD cpus have really fallen behind. Even an A10 has a hard time competing with an i5 that's a fewgens old.

Let`s hope these hi-end cards will compete with nVidia`s offerings in performance and not just price. Unfortunately for AMD, by Q1 2017, most hi-end market will have already upgraded to the excellent 10 series.

Let`s hope these hi-end cards will compete with nVidia`s offerings in performance and not just price. Unfortunately for AMD, by Q1 2017, most hi-end market will have already upgraded to the excellent 10 series.

The high end market is what it is because people are willing to drop big bucks on video cards. If AMD releases Vega and it's better than the Nvidia cards you can bet a bunch of GTX 1080s will pop up on ebay. If we were to just extrapolate Polaris unto the high end right now AMD would be competitive. They would consume less power and overclocking wouldn't be great but out of the box performance would be comparable. AMD isn't doing that, they are adding HBM2 to their high end chips and it will likely give them the edge they need. Increased power savings, more space on the card, and better performance.

The high end market is what it is because people are willing to drop big bucks on video cards. If AMD releases Vega and it's better than the Nvidia cards you can bet a bunch of GTX 1080s will pop up on ebay. If we were to just extrapolate Polaris unto the high end right now AMD would be competitive. They would consume less power and overclocking wouldn't be great but out of the box performance would be comparable. AMD isn't doing that, they are adding HBM2 to their high end chips and it will likely give them the edge they need. Increased power savings, more space on the card, and better performance.

You assume too much for the future. why look into the unknown. What matters most is the present. the present is gloomy for AMD especially in the high end. By the time you are saying they will release Vega, their competitor would have launch a new product in the market. Your predictions are your hopes for your favorite brand - fanboy-ism in disguise.

You assume too much for the future. why look into the unknown. What matters most is the present. the present is gloomy for AMD especially in the high end. By the time you are saying they will release Vega, their competitor would have launch a new product in the market. Your predictions are your hopes for your favorite brand - fanboy-ism in disguise.

Using that same logic we can say that there is no way you can tell that AMD WON'T be faster than nVidia.

AMD RX 480 or RX 470 still virtually impossible to buy in the city of a million where I live. They must be doing something right

AMD RX 480 or RX 470 still virtually impossible to buy in the city of a million where I live. They must be doing something right

I heard people are using the card for mining again (keep forgetting the name of the crypto currency, it's one of the newer ones) so it could be the same situation that the 7000 series landed in (not that they were bad for other things). Unless the RX 480 has been outselling the 1060 that bad that's the only explanation I can come up with how a card that launched with larger quantities and is easier to produce is somehow always out of stock.

First of all these slides weren't leaked. AMD posted it right on their website. Second these slides are from an investor conference that occurred August 9th. The Facebook posting of the Vega launch venue occurred the week after. So yes the official timeline has always been 2017, but I think they are hinting that it may be moved up.

Well that's ok, delayed or not, Kaby Lake comes out in January, and I will be building a new system around that unless Zen comes out and is good. Hopefully R490 is in the 1080 class.

I would guess that IF the 490 actually compares to the 1080 (I have grave reservations, but one can hope), Nvidia will simply cut the price a bit and release a 1080Ti much like they did with the 980....

Being this far behind is not great news for AMD, as they've basically given Nvidia several months headway...

Unfortunately, AMD just doesn't have the resources to compete... There will be a LOT riding on Zen and Vega, and if they don't succeed, AMD might be dead in the water :(

I would guess that IF the 490 actually compares to the 1080 (I have grave reservations, but one can hope), Nvidia will simply cut the price a bit and release a 1080Ti much like they did with the 980....

Being this far behind is not great news for AMD, as they've basically given Nvidia several months headway...

Unfortunately, AMD just doesn't have the resources to compete... There will be a LOT riding on Zen and Vega, and if they don't succeed, AMD might be dead in the water :(
Not going to happen. Seeing as how in our last conversation you didn't understand a single thing I said I'm not going to bother saying anymore than that.

Not going to happen. Seeing as how in our last conversation you didn't understand a single thing I said I'm not going to bother saying anymore than that.
I like how your definition of "understand" equates to "agree with you".... And what isn't going to happen?

I like how your definition of "understand" equates to "agree with you".... And what isn't going to happen?
There was nothing to agree on. Anyway, moving on. AMDs architecture is better at calcatong raw numbers than nVidia giving them a massive presence in the enterprise and cryptocurrency markets.

There was nothing to agree on. Anyway, moving on. AMDs architecture is better at calcatong raw numbers than nVidia giving them a massive presence in the enterprise and cryptocurrency markets.
Glad we agree on that at least.... Let's hope that's enough to keep them afloat... Remember, this company hasn't been profitable until the last few months - let's hope it's a trend that stays.

Just worried that Zen and Vega need to show profit, or they're back in the red.

Back