Lenovo intros three new LCDs, one with multitouch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Lenovo has cranked out a batch of new 1080p LCD monitors, including one with multitouch support. At the bottom of the pile is the L2261 Wide with a 21.5-inch TN panel, VGA and DVI inputs, a 5ms response time, and tilt and swivel adjustments.

Next up is the L2351p Wide, which measures 23 inches and features a kickstand design, HDMI input, built-in speakers, three USB 2.0 ports, and a 0.3-megapixel webcam. Complementing the chic package is a set of capacitive touch buttons instead of the standard push buttons for power, monitor settings and so on.

Topping Lenovo's offerings is the L2461x. In addition to being 23.6-inches and the only multitouch screen, it throws in some other extras. The L2461x has one more USB port, Windows shortcut touch buttons, a 2.0-megapixel webcam, a brighter 300-nit display, and 120Hz MEMC technology.

All three monitors are expected to ship by the end of the month, and the multitouch-equipped model has been spotted online for a respectable $618.

Permalink to story.

Oh, Never Mind......

I'm gonna stick with my Samsung 22" 1680 X 1050 swivel and tilt for the time being. I mean, it's really swell that these say "Lenovo" on the front, but still TN is TN. You seen one TN panel, you've pretty much seen them all. Well, except some are shinier.

True that.

However, I'm interested in the multitouch one. I wonder if that will take off in the home consumer market. Seems more at ease as a business tool tho....

I dont believe that the multitouch will take over the consumer market yet, maybe sometime in the future it will. I am curious to try one, but in the meantime I'll stick with my 22".

multi touch is not much used by pc users!
but maybe in future it might be extensively used! like the systems shown in AVATAR!
but its a great start from lenovo!
keep going!

hello ...

wow, at that price i can get 4 simple monitors LOL! I'm looking for a new monitor with high refresh rate for now (for 3D), this one is way out of bound for me.

cheers!

Wow, those monitors look REALLY nice, wish I could go for them buy my dual screens will do.
Not sure how touch screen full size monitors would go but those would certainly be good for commercial or business uses.

I still can't believe that none of the other manufacturers have come up with a stand design that even comes close to the Apple iMac stand - it really is far superior - smooth and easy tilting - no stickiness, no creaky plastic.

I see a few useful purposes of a touch screen, but having just recently become a father I can see how this could be used as a great teaching aid for children. Let kids have access to a touch screen to finger paint, or learn maths, english, etc.... all in one device. I also work in the kiosk space and we have yet to add a multi-touch experience, so maybe with the next iteration of our hardware provided if the screens are not too expensive. As for a desktop, I don't think there is a need. I don't usually sit close enough to the screen to touch it.

the only plac ei would want to have a touch screen is on my phone and maybe a future tablet PC (and no i won't buy the IPad - it would be like buying a really expensive ***** whom says that she has big boobs but actually has breast pads - thus the IPad my boobs))

waterytowers said:
I see a few useful purposes of a touch screen, but having just recently become a father I can see how this could be used as a great teaching aid for children. Let kids have access to a touch screen to finger paint, or learn maths, english, etc.... all in one device. I also work in the kiosk space and we have yet to add a multi-touch experience, so maybe with the next iteration of our hardware provided if the screens are not too expensive. As for a desktop, I don't think there is a need. I don't usually sit close enough to the screen to touch it.
I agree with you on this one. I don't sit at all close enough to touch my screen. Even when using my notebook, I never had the urge to touch the screen. Many young kids do have a tendency to want to touch everything.

Ever since I got my tablet PC, I have longed for a touch screen for my desktop, sometimes it is just way easier to hit something on the screen than to find the mouse.
Though I do normally sit too far away, I can see that being an issue. Not a huge issue.

Yes, multi-touch for regular computer monitors does require a bit of a mental stretch for real-world applications. I don't think these will really come into their own until we get widespread adoption of the screens for non-desktop uses...I'm thinking of a home automation screen that's built into a wall, or for lightweight tablets that aren't tied to a fixed position behind a keyboard.

I like the idea but the multitouch one is out of my price range. I got a 24" Samsung HDTV/Monitor and that works great...multitouch or even a regular touch screen would just be not as useful as I would like to think.

Agree that the price is quite high. I guess if i wanted a monitor that did everything all in one i might consider it. Touch capability in windows 7 is cool but i think i would still use my mouse more anyway and i prefer to have my own external webcam that has a wider field of view and better optics then the included ones do anyway.

If that's the stand for the multi-touch screen, anyone who buys it is going to have a fun time keeping that thing steady if not falling over altogether.

Nice looking monitor. I'm not sure how much I'd really use a touchscreen but it would be cool for some stuff. If it became very common someday I could see some games using a stylus and touch screens.

Myself I will never get a multi-touch screen for my desktop, but stuff like tablets or phones is where it could be very helpfull

I've never really had the urge to touch my desktop or laptop monitor for the fear of fingerprints on the screen... Also what's with the massive black line at the bottom of the screen? If that's there all the time then it looks really ugly.

I'll just wait times when multitouch monitors become more mainstream and cheaper.
I haven't had a chance to experience multitouch first-hand, but I'm patient :)

I think that touching your vertically mounted monitor would really become tiring when compared to using a mouse. You're moving your whole arm.

I've always thought that a touchscreen with a minimalist keyboard on the bottom would be an ideal input device.You have your three rows of letters for quick typing (interchangeable keys for custom setups) and then above you have a touch tablet for macros, quick launch for apps, and application specific setups. You could essentially have it display anything. And you keep fingerprints off your main monitor. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back