Lenovo's Legion Go gaming handheld arrives this October, starting at $699

DragonSlayer101

Staff
What just happened? Lenovo has unveiled its first Windows gaming handheld device that aims to combine top-tier hardware with premium software for gaming on-the-go. Called the Legion Go, it will compete against a ton of similar devices, such as the Nintendo Switch, Steam Deck, Ayaneo 2, Logitech G Cloud, Asus ROG Ally, Razer Edge, and many more.

Like the Asus ROG Ally, the Legion Go runs Windows 11, meaning users can not only install a ton of games on it from just about any online store but also have access to PC Game Pass. To distinguish itself from other Windows-based gaming handhelds, the Legion Go comes with Lenovo's proprietary 'Legion Space' software that the company claims was specifically designed for the Legion Go. Lenovo says it allows users to quickly access all their game platforms and stores, view all locally installed games, and even make purchases through the Legion Game Store.

Moving on to the hardware side of things, the Legion Go comes with a large 8.8-inch QHD+ (2560 × 1600) touchscreen display with 144Hz refresh rate. It is powered by up to AMD's Ryzen Z1 Extreme CPU with RDNA 3 graphics. Other hardware features include 16GB of LPDDR5X memory and up to 1TB of expandable storage.

The Legion Go sports a 49.2Wh battery with Super Rapid Charge that the company claims can juice up the device to 70 percent in just half an hour. It also comes with multiple power modes to let users adjust battery consumption on the fly. Connectivity options on the Legion Go include 2x USB-C ports with DisplayPort 1.4 and Power Delivery 3.0 support, a 3.5mm headphone socket, Bluetooth 5.2 and Wi-Fi 6E.

The Legion Go comes with a kickstand and detachable TrueStrike controllers that include an integrated trackpad, an angled mouse wheel, and 10 mappable buttons. The device also has an 'FPS mode' that allows gamers to detach the controllers and use the kickstand at the back to prop it up on a surface. Once detached, the right controller can be placed in a magnetic base for precise aiming in FPS games.

Alongside the main handheld, Lenovo also debuted the Legion Glasses with two 1920 × 1080 micro-OLED displays and built-in speakers. They connect to the Legion Go via USB-C and can double as an external display for any Windows, macOS, or Android device. The Legion Go will be available for purchase from October on Lenovo's official website, with prices starting at $699 in the U.S. and €799 (around $866) in Europe. The Legion Glasses have been priced at $329 in the U.S.

Permalink to story.

The right stick doubling as a vertical mouse is actually a quite clever development: To the point that you might not miss keyboard and mouse that much for more PC centric titles like strategy and simulation games in which you kinda need the accurate mouse tracking.

Dave2D on youtube has a pretty extensive preview of it and it feels like the ergonomics of the handheld mode plus the option to use a mouse-like device on a table makes it kind of a winner: it is just missing a keyboard but I'm pretty sure there will be mini keyboards available or even a foldable one to actually become pretty handy. It's kinda bad that they couldn't fit a 2280 m.2 slot but it does fit a 2242 so it's kinda better than having to find a higher capacity 2230 ssd plus docking on USB 4 will help out too.

It looks quite nice, similar to first alienware ufo, will take a look on that for sure. Just I hope there is no issue installing Linux, I do not use Windows anymore and Steam Deck actually proved Linux works simply better on handheld devices. Lack of touch pads is a bit concerning. Great to see a competition on this market as well, maybe we will see a Steam Deck 2 shortly? Would be fun to see what new device then can come up with.

2560x1600 is nuts for a handheld. You'll have trouble running most modern 3D games at 30fps at low settings at that resolution. I think a 720p OLED would be the sweet spot for a device like this. IIRC, even 1080p is a stretch for the ROG Ally unless you're running the highest power mode.

2560x1600 is nuts for a handheld. You'll have trouble running most modern 3D games at 30fps at low settings at that resolution. I think a 720p OLED would be the sweet spot for a device like this. IIRC, even 1080p is a stretch for the ROG Ally unless you're running the highest power mode.
It is a perfect resolution, because this allows you to scale games perfectly to 1280x800 without any interpolation. And still you can enjoy well rendered desktop or videos.

Now only if AMD showed more initiative in mobile space.

Mobile GPU nowdays have the power, at least, of PS4.

Well... That's the power you have at your finger tips!

AMD could easily create an open source endeavor for anyone that wishes to contribute, for PC games and alike, to work on smartphones. Connect a game controller or anything, and make it work.
Bring doom, halo, half life to anyone that can.

It is a perfect resolution, because this allows you to scale games perfectly to 1280x800 without any interpolation. And still you can enjoy well rendered desktop or videos.

A fair point though I'd still be wary of exactly what (or whose) expectations it may yet live up to, what with the current negative trends in game devving not going away any time soon.
All told though, so far it's looking to be a ROG Ally killer (at least for my needs) with few concerns over the ones I'd have for any SD competitor. Still, a tough expenditure to excuse given my SD has seen less use than planned so far and upgrading the ol' desktop would come first.

Back