TechSpot

Level 3 Cache?

By cfitzarl
Sep 27, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I just ran cpu-z's latency test on my temporary computer and the results gave me the latency numbers for l1, and l2 cache, although, the prompt said is also had a third level cache. What is this?

EDIT:
    I just ran the test again and it reported only two cache levels.
  2. MetalX

MetalX TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,909

That's because some processors like the older Pentium 4 EE socket 478 processors had L3 cache. It was supposed to improve performance... and it did somewhat because a 3.2 Gallatin (P4 EE) was faster than a 3.8 Prescott with HT.
  3. cfitzarl

cfitzarl TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 2,520   +9

The computer I'm working on is a Pentium 3 EB Coppermine on a socket 370 mobo, not a Pentium IV though.

EDIT:

I just ran another test, and it says;

3 Cache Levels detected

Level 1 size = 16KB (normal, I know)
    Level 2 size = 128KB (normal, I know)
    Level 3 size = 256KB (???)
  4. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

The P-IIIEB (133MHz FSB, 256k L2, right?) does not have L3 cache.
  5. cfitzarl

That's correct.
  6. MetalX

MetalX TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,909

Hmmm... sometimes in old motherboards the cache was built into to MoBo so maybe the L3 is on the mobo?
  7. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,605   +9

I don't think it has L3 cache on the mobo. That was on some P2's, because they didn't have a integrated L2 cache. They had 512kb of L2, and it was on the mobo.

BTW, CPU-Z detected 3 cache levels on my old Celeron D. It has to be crazy :)
  8. cfitzarl

Cpu-Z has had some inacurate results with the fan power and one temperature sensor.
  9. dmill89

dmill89 TS Guru Posts: 737

Never heard of L3 cache on the motherboard however L2 cache on the motherboard was common with socket 7 (Pentium MMX[75-233mhz],AMD K6[200-550mhz] ) and slot 1 (Pentium II and some early AMD K7 Thunderbirds) because these CPUs had no onbord cache ( actually slot 1 K7 Thunderbirds did have L2 cache on the CPU but sience slot 1 boards were desinged for Pentium IIs which did not the motherboards had external cache anyway).
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.