TechSpot

Level 3 Cache?

By cfitzarl
Sep 27, 2006
  1. I just ran cpu-z's latency test on my temporary computer and the results gave me the latency numbers for l1, and l2 cache, although, the prompt said is also had a third level cache. What is this?

EDIT:
    I just ran the test again and it reported only two cache levels.

2. MetalX

MetalX TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,388

That's because some processors like the older Pentium 4 EE socket 478 processors had L3 cache. It was supposed to improve performance... and it did somewhat because a 3.2 Gallatin (P4 EE) was faster than a 3.8 Prescott with HT.

3. cfitzarl

cfitzarl TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 1,975   +9

The computer I'm working on is a Pentium 3 EB Coppermine on a socket 370 mobo, not a Pentium IV though.

EDIT:

I just ran another test, and it says;

3 Cache Levels detected

Level 1 size = 16KB (normal, I know)
    Level 2 size = 128KB (normal, I know)
    Level 3 size = 256KB (???)

4. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

The P-IIIEB (133MHz FSB, 256k L2, right?) does not have L3 cache.

5. cfitzarl

That's correct.

6. MetalX

MetalX TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,388

Hmmm... sometimes in old motherboards the cache was built into to MoBo so maybe the L3 is on the mobo?

7. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,967   +9

I don't think it has L3 cache on the mobo. That was on some P2's, because they didn't have a integrated L2 cache. They had 512kb of L2, and it was on the mobo.

BTW, CPU-Z detected 3 cache levels on my old Celeron D. It has to be crazy :)

8. cfitzarl

Cpu-Z has had some inacurate results with the fan power and one temperature sensor.

9. dmill89

dmill89 TS Guru Posts: 475

Never heard of L3 cache on the motherboard however L2 cache on the motherboard was common with socket 7 (Pentium MMX[75-233mhz],AMD K6[200-550mhz] ) and slot 1 (Pentium II and some early AMD K7 Thunderbirds) because these CPUs had no onbord cache ( actually slot 1 K7 Thunderbirds did have L2 cache on the CPU but sience slot 1 boards were desinged for Pentium IIs which did not the motherboards had external cache anyway).

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.