LG announces 20-inch, glasses-free 3D monitor

Jos

LG Electronics has announced the release of a 20-inch, glasses-free 3D monitor that uses eye-tracking technology to maintain an optimal image from a wider range of viewing angles. Though it's touted as the first monitor of its kind, the D2000 actually uses a similar trick to Toshiba's recently announced Qosmio F750 notebook, which can detect changes in the viewer's position in real time and adjust the stereoscopic image accordingly.

LG hopes this will make 3D TV viewing a more comfortable and freer experience than before. The biggest drawbacks, besides pricing, have always been the need for special glasses and the very narrow viewing angles. But as clever as this approach may be it still comes with one major caveat: the camera can only track one person at a time, thus the 3D effect will only be viewable by that person, which is less than ideal unless you only watch movies alone.

The D2000 will also play standard 2D content, of course, and it also features 2D-to-3D conversion, similar to what 3D gaming laptops such as the Alienware M17x and the Toshiba Qosmio X770 offer.

The D2000 will be available in Korea this month for 1.29 million Won, or about $1,200 USD, with a release in other markets planned for later this year after the IFA electronics industry convention in Germany in September.

Permalink to story.

Awesome! Really not a bad price at all too for brand spanking new technology like this. So do you think this could work for multiple people if they just added more of those camera trackers at the top of the monitor? Maybe 4 for 4 people or something.

Wow this is actually pretty interesting; and the price is reasonable since it's pretty much the latest tech.
While 3D might seem a bit like a novelty now, I can see it being standard on just about everything in a decade or so.

@lmike6453

This technology could never be used for more than one person viewing at a time as it changes the content for a given viewing position. You would need to have a screen that can show two different pictures in different directions simulaneously (which does exist) - and the people would have to sit next to each, one on the left of the TV, one on the right

$1,200 for a 20-inch monitor? And just because it "might" do 3D without the dumb glasses? For that price you can buy a top-of-the-line 30 inch Dell Ultrasharp 2560x1600 monitor and have $200 bucks to spare for a new video card.

Forget it....

I doubt many 20" monitors are watched by more than one person at a time. Sure, you might occasionally have someone looking over your shoulder, but that 3D will probably be used for gaming or for a single person watching a movie.

What makes this monitor a hard sell is (apart from the price) the one detail I had to search to find, the 1600x900 resolution. Couldn't they have done 1080p? It's not that far. Some people may be willing to pay a lot for a monitor, but such people would also expect 1080p.

Though it's touted as the first monitor of its kind, the D2000 actually uses a similar trick to Toshiba's recently announced Qosmio F750 notebook

Well actually when i use to sell electronics if you looked trough the vents on the top left corner of Toshiba Plasma and LCD tv's you could see the LG logo sticker on the panel

So im guessing the Qosmio as a LG screen

Cheers

Neo

The price really isn't important, Tom, as always it'll go down. The cool thing is the speed at which this stuff comes out. Just the fact that we already have one available is what's important. I remember seeing plasmas in best buy and saying $6000 just for a TV that's FLAT?! Well... 3 years later there was one in my living room for 1/3 that price.

The camera can only track one person at a time, thus the 3D effect will only be viewable by that person, which is less than ideal unless you only watch movies alone.
This adds a new level to the meme "Forever Alone" :D

Back