TechSpot

LG announces 20-inch, glasses-free 3D monitor

By Jos
Jul 14, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. LG Electronics has announced the release of a 20-inch, glasses-free 3D monitor that uses eye-tracking technology to maintain an optimal image from a wider range of viewing angles. Though it's…

Read the whole story

2. lmike6453

lmike6453 TS Rookie Posts: 98   +6

Awesome! Really not a bad price at all too for brand spanking new technology like this. So do you think this could work for multiple people if they just added more of those camera trackers at the top of the monitor? Maybe 4 for 4 people or something.

3. glass-less...

imma like.. "what the??"

4. Wow this is actually pretty interesting; and the price is reasonable since it's pretty much the latest tech.
    While 3D might seem a bit like a novelty now, I can see it being standard on just about everything in a decade or so.

5. @lmike6453

This technology could never be used for more than one person viewing at a time as it changes the content for a given viewing position. You would need to have a screen that can show two different pictures in different directions simulaneously (which does exist) - and the people would have to sit next to each, one on the left of the TV, one on the right

6. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,498   +306

7. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,349   +398

$1,200 for a 20-inch monitor? And just because it "might" do 3D without the dumb glasses? For that price you can buy a top-of-the-line 30 inch Dell Ultrasharp 2560x1600 monitor and have $200 bucks to spare for a new video card.

Forget it....

8. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 979   +31

I doubt many 20" monitors are watched by more than one person at a time. Sure, you might occasionally have someone looking over your shoulder, but that 3D will probably be used for gaming or for a single person watching a movie.

What makes this monitor a hard sell is (apart from the price) the one detail I had to search to find, the 1600x900 resolution. Couldn't they have done 1080p? It's not that far. Some people may be willing to pay a lot for a monitor, but such people would also expect 1080p.

9. Well actually when i use to sell electronics if you looked trough the vents on the top left corner of Toshiba Plasma and LCD tv's you could see the LG logo sticker on the panel

So im guessing the Qosmio as a LG screen

Cheers

Neo

10. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,087   +715

The price really isn't important, Tom, as always it'll go down. The cool thing is the speed at which this stuff comes out. Just the fact that we already have one available is what's important. I remember seeing plasmas in best buy and saying $6000 just for a TV that's FLAT?! Well... 3 years later there was one in my living room for 1/3 that price.

11. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,316   +268

I paid $6,000 for my first 52" LCD... that wasn't that many years ago.

12. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,930   +126 Staff Member

This adds a new level to the meme "Forever Alone" :D

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.