LG G Flex 2 Review: Top-notch hardware, same curved gimmick-ness

Scorpus

Staff member

flex review top-notch

LG has a very interesting idea of what a good flagship smartphone should be. The G2 and G3 had unorthodox button placement but at least it didn't take much getting used to. The G Flex on the other hand, was even more unorthodox with a massive six-inch display curved in such a way to (supposedly) better fit the palm of your hand and shape of your face -- in practice it was just an awkward device.

Now they're back again with the G Flex 2, which was first announced at CES 2015. While similar in shape to the original, the second-generation model features a much more reasonable 5.5-inch display, which keeps the handset closer in size to today’s popular flagships. The flexibility of the original also remains, allowing the G Flex 2’s curved body to bend in certain circumstances.

On the inside, LG is packing in all the latest and greatest hardware. This is the second product to hit the TechSpot test bench that’s powered by Qualcomm’s flagship and most powerful SoC, the 64-bit capable Snapdragon 810. The screen has been upgraded from a mere 720p to the flagship-standard 1080p, and we’re also getting LG’s latest 13-megapixel camera module with a laser-assisted autofocus system and optical image stabilization.

Read the complete review.

You guys need to calibrate the displays to a certain brightness before running your battery life tests. Some displays are far brighter than they need to be or vice versa.

You guys need to calibrate the displays to a certain brightness before running your battery life tests. Some displays are far brighter than they need to be or vice versa.

This sort of testing is in the works, we're just testing a few more devices before we start using the results. Need to have a decent sample size for comparisons.

(And calibrated display brightness for battery testing doesn't make the G Flex 2's battery life seem any better ;) )

The LGs got some of the best designs out there, no doubt. But for me the curved G Flex looks and feels just odd.

Is it just me or is this new phone really looks like a bended OnePlus One with a LG logo on?

I think they'll sell as many as the original Flex. It will appeal to those that want to be different but willing to accept some performance issues. It also depends on the price. At $700 flagship prices, I'd rather grab the M9.

Personally, I think leaving the phone's automatic brightness setting on would be a more relevant test, because that's how the vast majority of users will be using it. It's pointless to standardize one level of brightness for all phones, because in real-world usage some may run above that most of the time, while others might run below it most of the time.
I think that, provided all phones are tested in the same environment and same lighting conditions, leaving automatic mode on and letting the phones decide for themselves is the better measure of battery life.

I agree the brightness should be at auto, but the lighting needs to the same on each test.

Personally, I think leaving the phone's automatic brightness setting on would be a more relevant test, because that's how the vast majority of users will be using it. It's pointless to standardize one level of brightness for all phones, because in real-world usage some may run above that most of the time, while others might run below it most of the time.
I think that, provided all phones are tested in the same environment and same lighting conditions, leaving automatic mode on and letting the phones decide for themselves is the better measure of battery life.

Interesting thoughts, might see what this sort of testing delivers

Why are Iphones not listed in the battery life chart?
You list all sort of Android and Win based devices except Iphones? I don't like this :)

"...in the hand I see no real improvement in ergonomics from having the device curved in this way"

From the way the reviewer clutches the phone with a claw hand, that's understandable. https://www.techspot.com/photos/article/985-lg-g-flex-2/#GFlex2F-18
Most other reviewers who let it sit naturally in their palm admire the ergonomic design.

Saying the curved screen brings nothing to the experience is kinda like saying the same about a Porsche. You wouldn't buy a porsche if was shaped like a brick now would you. It's the main reason I went with the phone, there's nothing else like it. Perhaps you were referring to immersiveness?

Back