LG G6 Review: a good phone, but...

Excellent review :)

Still wishing someone could ship an iPhone out to you so that it could be added to your benchmarks....

Also nice not to see anything about how dumb certain companies are....

"This is disappointing considering how important selfie cameras are."

I certainly hope this is sarcasm, honestly front facing cameras can not exist and I'd be perfectly happy.

Otherwise it's just a good phone, which is unfortunate, I was really looking forward to getting this one to replace my now ancient G3, which is still also a good phone. Maybe next year...

"This is disappointing considering how important selfie cameras are."

I certainly hope this is sarcasm, honestly front facing cameras can not exist and I'd be perfectly happy.

Otherwise it's just a good phone, which is unfortunate, I was really looking forward to getting this one to replace my now ancient G3, which is still also a good phone. Maybe next year...

But if I can't take a selfie to show you my face, how can you tell if I look sarcastic or not? See the problem.

Most LG flagship displays suffer from image ghosting, which can become annoying. Many reviewers failed to mention this, but then again these usually appear later - from few months to a year of usage. Unlike Amoled's burn-in, this is temporary.

Still, I wonder if this will happen to G6 too. V10 and even V20 also suffers from this. It's got something to do LG's in-house LCDs.

Here is yet another good example of sub-dividing into groups these reviews. It appears that lately we are getting one review per day (or more) about phones. Don't get me wrong, the reviews are done very well but I really think it demands an area of it's own.

"Due to an aggressive schedule that saw the G6 hit the market ahead of other flagships..."
I have to wonder if this was because of reviews. I would guess that 99% of reviews are written as soon as a product is released. So if someone is reading reviews of the phone 6 months later they would see something like "this is the best phone currently available" rather than "this is not as good as the Samsung S8". Which is why I respect sites that do delayed reviews - it's helpful to have a good mixture of immediate reviews and delayed reviews.
It works against game releases. Most early reviews of modern releases give low scores as there are so many bugs. Many developers then work hard to fix the bugs but the review scores don't change. If a game doesn't have Steam reviews, I won't know if the bug fixes have made the game worth buying.
We need more sites doing delayed reviews or updating their reviews over time.

LG has never been a brand of phone I've ever considered buying and it's not because I don't like their products, quite the opposite in fact. Their home appliances are right up there with the very best and that's what I associate them with. When it comes to microwaves, TV's monitors, washing machines etc. I'll never overlook them. Only when it comes to smartphones I tend to forget they exist.

Excellent review :)

Still wishing someone could ship an iPhone out to you so that it could be added to your benchmarks....

Also nice not to see anything about how dumb certain companies are....
You must have misread it. It says Apple is stupid for not including a headphone jack right there in the middle.

"Due to an aggressive schedule that saw the G6 hit the market ahead of other flagships, the phone missed out on Qualcomm’s new Snapdragon 835 SoC, instead relying on the older Snapdragon 821."

I would like to quote references (https://www.techspot.com/news/67888-samsung-hoarding-supply-snapdragon-835-galaxy-s8.html) but a little research goes a long way. Samsung "bought" all the 835s for the S8 in some sort of exclusivity deal with the chip manufacturer. The G6 could have had the 835, as long as they were willing to wait for Samsung to release their S8 first.

LG has never been a brand of phone I've ever considered buying and it's not because I don't like their products, quite the opposite in fact. Their home appliances are right up there with the very best and that's what I associate them with. When it comes to microwaves, TV's monitors, washing machines etc. I'll never overlook them. Only when it comes to smartphones I tend to forget they exist.
OK, then why???

Most LG flagship displays suffer from image ghosting, which can become annoying. Many reviewers failed to mention this, but then again these usually appear later - from few months to a year of usage. Unlike Amoled's burn-in, this is temporary.

Still, I wonder if this will happen to G6 too. V10 and even V20 also suffers from this. It's got something to do LG's in-house LCDs.

I have had my G3 for over 2 years now and have never experienced any such problems with the display. It looks as good as the day I bought it. My friends G4, no problems like that, another friend has a G5 and has yet to complain about any such issues. Is this an isolated problem or personal experience? This is the first I have herd of such a condition.

I have had my G3 for over 2 years now and have never experienced any such problems with the display. It looks as good as the day I bought it. My friends G4, no problems like that, another friend has a G5 and has yet to complain about any such issues. Is this an isolated problem or personal experience? This is the first I have herd of such a condition.

My LG V10 suffers from it. Searching around, I found more incidents of it. They nailed it down to LG's in-house displays. Evident in G4 and above.

Some complained that even after replacing the screens, they reappeared after some time.

More info available at xda website.

"Due to an aggressive schedule that saw the G6 hit the market ahead of other flagships, the phone missed out on Qualcomm’s new Snapdragon 835 SoC, instead relying on the older Snapdragon 821."

I would like to quote references (https://www.techspot.com/news/67888-samsung-hoarding-supply-snapdragon-835-galaxy-s8.html) but a little research goes a long way. Samsung "bought" all the 835s for the S8 in some sort of exclusivity deal with the chip manufacturer. The G6 could have had the 835, as long as they were willing to wait for Samsung to release their S8 first.
That was posted here, but then shortly later several other phones came out with the 835, proving Samsung hadn't bought them all.

Back