TechSpot

Limewire wont open

By Buddy Hart
Jul 6, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. I downloaded Limewire and when I try to open it I am getting a message
    to downloaded Java, I have Java downloaded and Limewire still wont open.
    any suggestions ?

2. Cobalt006

Cobalt006 TS Maniac Posts: 1,861   +186

Not sure if you will get it to. Limewire is a old program.

3. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Posts: 5,463   +243

Cobalt006 likes this.
  4. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,479   +624

Limewire is dead. I recommend not touching it.

learninmypc and Cobalt006 like this.
  5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,521   +336

Regardless;

After downloading and installing Java, test to see if your environment knows of and can launch Java.
    Get a command prompt and enter java -version (that is case sensitive too). You have not got it installed properly until you get a three line output with the version number.

St1ckM4n likes this.
  6. Cobalt006

If he google's limewire. He will see the latest Java dose not work with Limewire. Limewire has not been updated in years. Matter of fact I am not to sure it even works anymore.

learninmypc likes this.
  7. learninmypc

http://www.limewire.com/
    ATTENTION
    LimeWire is under a court order dated October 26, 2010 to stop distributing the LimeWire software. A copy of the injunction can be found here. LimeWire LLC, its directors and officers, are taking all steps to comply with the injunction. We have very recently become aware of unauthorized applications on the internet purporting to use the LimeWire name. We demand that all persons using the LimeWire software, name, or trademark in order to upload or download copyrighted works in any manner cease and desist from doing so. We further remind you that the unauthorized (go to link above for the rest)

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2371590,00.asp

Cobalt006 likes this.
  8. Cobalt006

Thats what I kinda thought. That was about the time the crap hit the fan over. People downloading the latest songs . Instead of buying them. A lot of the artist of the songs were complaining.:)

learninmypc likes this.
  9. jobeard

I do not support piracy or peer-peer file sharing which almost certainly is a violation of copyright.
    However, I elected to provide a direct answer to the question on Java as there are valid and legal uses for it and the install issue is a common bump in the road.

10. Cobalt006

I understand you gave him a valid answer. But from our understanding it will not help him. Limewire is not up and running any more. That is what we were trying to say. Sorry if you thought we were not supporting your answer.

11. jobeard

Thanks - - however, where ever possible, I think we ought to answer the OP's question. We can THEN pass on information, good/bad idea (with WHY), legal/illegal, works/doesn't work.

That's just me :grin:

learninmypc and Cobalt006 like this.

12. learninmypc

That sounds good to me & as St1ckM4n says, I wouldn't touch it either. :)

13. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,406   +1,595

I've often heard stories of people getting viruses with Limewire. That has been enough to keep me away. I never have used Limewire and every time I saw it installed, I couldn't seem to get it uninstalled quick enough.

Cobalt006 and learninmypc like this.
  14. Cobalt006

Your welcome:)

15. Cobalt006

Yes that is a true fact. I spent many hours removing virus and what not from my son's computer. When he used it.

16. Buddy Hart

Buddy Hart TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thank you for all the replies, I thought maybe they went legit and I expected
    to pay to download music, I definetly will be deleting it. Any suggestions on a good site for music to download?

17. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,479   +624

Google Play and iTunes, along with Amazon are the three big dudes I think.

Buddy Hart likes this.
  18. learninmypc

Heck, just buy your favorite group's CD's & rip them to your pc.:)

19. learninmypc

You might try using revo to remove it.

20. Fletcher holman

Fletcher holman TS Rookie

Download vuse client. then go to your favorite torrent site

21. hopgop1

hopgop1 TS Enthusiast Posts: 192   +22

He clearly wanted to pay for music and the thread has more or less been solved.

Cobalt006 likes this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.