Limited or no connectivity

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a linksys wireless g router, it has worked for over a year, but recently, it will stop working. It shows that it is connected but that there is limited or no connectivity. Then it says that the network failed to assign an IP address.

Unplugging the router and replugging it makes it work fine, but I would like to not have to do this every time.

I had another router last year that did this ever since I had bought it, and that's why I finally just got this one. At Best Buy, they said that the cheaper routers tended to do that. Any idea why this one used to work, and now doesn't? And is there any way to fix it?

Thanks for your help, and I apologize if this has been asked numerous times before.

you can try editing the connection settings manually (i.e. IP address, DNS servers) or vice versa. this is a common problem, but sometimes you may need to edit router settings too. open your web browser and type "192.168.1.1" in the address bar. when it asks for a password use "admin" and you should have access to the router. make sure DHCP is enabled and that the broadcast is set to the correct frequency. save changes and reconnect.

lol @ the Best Buy "techs" claiming it's a cheap router...

thanks for replying
DHCP is enabled.... how do I check the router frequencies?

the only thing I changed was correcting the time-zone....don't think that will do anything necessarily

I have a linksys wireless g router, it has worked for over a year, but recently, it will stop working. It shows that it is connected but that there is limited or no connectivity. Then it says that the network failed to assign an IP address.

Unplugging the router and replugging it makes it work fine, but I would like to not have to do this every time.

I had another router last year that did this ever since I had bought it, and that's why I finally just got this one. At Best Buy, they said that the cheaper routers tended to do that. Any idea why this one used to work, and now doesn't? And is there any way to fix it?

Thanks for your help, and I apologize if this has been asked numerous times before.

What you said right there in bold, that means the router is faulty. You could try upgrading the firmware using the stock one or DD-WRT. Or re-install the firmware if none is available. If it still happens get another router. No sense going at it like this. Routers are suppose to run without issues.

I had that same problem on Vista and 7. Vista and 7 suck with that Network and Sharing center.

I had this problem as well on my linksys wireless g router. Turned out to be a bad port on the router (realized this when upgrading firmware didn't work). I moved the cable over one port (now in port 2) and everything worked just fine, though I did move the cable from port 2 to port 4 (after testing all the ports). If you have a bad port, move your cable as far away from it as possible. Sometimes the solutions are the most obvious ones that we end up looking over, lol.

*Always check for bad ports or other possibilities before upgrading firmware

Also, don't put all your trust in the "techs" at Best Buy. Anyone who knows how to turn on a computer can work there, lol. I have a friend who went into business for himself and talks about how some of the computers he works on, the clients said that they had already been to BB and nothing was really fixed. Sorry to drift off topic there, just wanted to warn you about their "tech" support, lol.

On my router, there is only one place to plug in the cable from the modem. The other ports are where you can plug in ethernets, but we just use the wireless.

I have reset the router and it's webpage to factory defaults and reinstalled it. I also installed the recommended firmware. Nothing has changed...we still get the limited connectivity and then have to unplug-replug the router to get it to work.

Any other ideas?

Thanks for the responses

Create a new account on the router.
SSD name and passcode for it. Now try to connect.
If this is a Linksys Wireless Router in the WRT Series.

Example SSD: My_Net passcode 99_net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back