TechSpot

Lines going Up & Down on my HDTV

By stallions
Jul 17, 2007
  1. Hi,

I used to have a 128MB radeon 9800 pro. I have an ATI "DVI to Component" adapter for my HDTV and it was working very well with that card.

After about 3 years or so of using my 9800 pro it basically got damaged and had to buy a new card. I bought 256MB radeon X1050 and after installing and connecting my HDTV through it's DVI port, I noticed lines keep going up and down on my HDTV.

I tried different things like changing the resolotion with no luck. I would try playing with the refresh rate but it's stuck at 30 Hz.

I'm not sure if there is something with the card itself or if it's a drivers problem. I did update to the latest drivers though and the picture is clear on my LCD monitor. It's just the HDTV that I'm having a problem with.

The HDTV is shown as a secondary monitor called "Default Monitor" with 2001 drivers. Does that have anything to do with this?

Any ideas?

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

"The HDTV is shown as a secondary monitor called "Default Monitor" with 2001 drivers. Does that have anything to do with this?"

This card has 2 DVI outputs. Where did you get the drivers? CD or AMD/ATI website? Did you remove the old 9800 drivers first?

Your vertical refresh rate should be 60Hz

3. stallions

stallions TS Rookie Topic Starter

My card is the lower model with one DVI output. Yes I did remove the 9800 drivers first.

"Your vertical refresh rate should be 60Hz" That's the problem that I'm having, there is only one option which is 30Hz.

Also, I noticed that when I'm doing nothing (idle state) the flickering (I'm not sure if that's what it is called) almost disappears. But when I start working on the PC again the flickering starts again. Does that mean it's a hardware problem? Like power or RAM or something of that sort?

4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

Yes stallions,
    It could very well be a power problem, cable or defective card

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.