Linksys router problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

altheman

Hi all, I'm having a really strange problem with my Linksys router. For some reason, I can't access the web config page from this laptop, via wireless or a direct lan connection, but it worked with my niece's laptop. I thought it was a router problem (it fell off the wardrobe it was on once), but it seems the problem only affects my laptop, and specifically this router. I bought another router recently, but it was the wrong type (cable and not adsl), but I tested my connection before returning it, and I was able to access the config page without any problems.

I tried so many different things; resetting the router, uninstalling my network card and reinstalling, disabling all wifi and router security, checking my settings over and over again, trying to connect in safe mode, but still no luck.
Like I said, its only this laptop, and this router, my niece's laptop has no problems connecting to the config page, and I have no problems connecting to the config page of other routers.

I can't remember when it started, but I recently formatted my laptop, I'm sure it was working after the format, but all of a sudden it has stopped. My system is clean of all malware, adware, etc, and I've double checked to make sure something I installed isn't interfering. Its really annoying since I have to turn on my desktop pc to access the web config panel. So if anyone could please help.. :)

Router: Linksys WAG354G
Laptop:
AMD 64 Mobile
1.5GB ram
100gb hd
ati gfx card
broadcom wireless card and ethernet

Thanks

This makes very little sense to me. Since IE isn't working, I'd like you to try Firefox (www.getfirefox.com) just for a second opinion. I'd also like you to ping your router as a different method to establish connection, just to see if isn't a connection problem.

First, I'd like you to try to ping your router on both computers. As you probably know, by default, your router's IP address is 192.168.1.1. Go to Start > Run > cmd and type in ping 192.168.1.1 on your laptop. Try this on your niece's laptop as well, so we can double-check the ping results.

If the ping is successful (Your get a reply with a TTL, bytes and time info) on your laptop, that means your problem probably only affects Internet Explorer or the type of network traffic IE generates. Are you able to visit other websites on your laptop?

If the ping is not successful on only your laptop, but successful on your niece's, then at least port 80 traffic is being blocked from your IP address. This could be because of a firewall or filter (I know I know.. You said you disabled your firewall - just throwing it out there...) but there does lie a possibility of something going on your may not know about, such as only certain IP addresses being allowed to administer your router or perhaps a misbehaving firewall software that needs to be uninstalled. Maybe even somehow 192.168.1.1 has been added to your C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc\Hosts list... Somewhat unlikely things, but worth checking if there's no other explanations.

If the ping is not successful on you or your niece's laptop, that tells us your router may be blocking ICMP traffic locally. You can disable this option in your router config, for troubleshooting purposes at least.

If Firefox works to access your config page, then we know the problem is definitely with IE. Again, it is possible IE could be blocked by a software firewall that you don't know about and it is very possible that IE is having problems displaying certain websites because of the way it is configured or perhaps it is damaged. And this can happen even though it may be displaying other websites correctly...

I tried using both IE and Firefox. I'm able to use the internet without problems, aswell as share files on the home network, use portforwarding, etc. Pinging works fine, but any attempt to connect to 192.168.1.1 just leaves a page saying "connecting" and just sits there. In the end, it just has a blank page, I don't even reach the login box.
I checked my hosts file, the only entries there are the one I manually added (winfixer and related companies, etc), I tried disabling my firewall, disabling all router security, still no luck. :(

Unplug the Linksys router, and take a pin and press the REST and hold it it for 30 secs. Leave it off the power for 30 mins. Now reconnect and press the Reset button tab once again this time with the power connected. This should reset and flush out the router settings.

If you still can't get in the Router is defective....

uninstall the nic then reinstall with updated drivers
set nic to static
check router for status page you should have a good WAN ip address
if not try a refresh here
check your modem this may cause some conflicts
is it a combo modem/router
if so make modem bridge mode or make router a gateway
bridging works best

I tried all that. Even after a reset, the router refuses connections from my wireless or LAN cards to the web config panel.
I tried uninstalling my NIC card and upgrading the drivers. Still nothing.
Also, this is just a single ADSL router, not part of a bigger network.

This may be a shot in the dark , but I have had this issue (I have Lynksis)
Try typing the "http://" with the 192 .168.1.1
Also disconnect from the modem.

try another nic card
or check the setup in the working machine
seems to me if the other is working
it's the machine your using
a virus/trojon issue since the wired and wireless both stopped functioning
swap cables around (you probubly did that)
last resort a OS repair
try here ---->tcp/ip fixs

I tried using both IE and Firefox. I'm able to use the internet without problems, aswell as share files on the home network, use portforwarding, etc. Pinging works fine, but any attempt to connect to 192.168.1.1 just leaves a page saying "connecting" and just sits there.
Okay, so we know this isn't just a problem with IE. We can also be very certain it is not a hardware problem.

I think the most likely reason is a problem with the Windows sub system. In my opnion, your best shot is a winsock repair. There's a couple of ways to do it. The first is in Windows XP SP2, go to Start > Run > cmd. Type "netsh winsock reset" and press enter. Restart the computer and your Winsock should be restored back to its original, working self. If you don't have XP SP2, then http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html can do the same dirty work for you.

If this doesn't work, then you have some sort of software or settings I'm not familiar with blocking connectivity. It could be something you don't know about like malware or a virus and I'd do a scan just to see if something comes up. http://housecall.antivirus.com

And if all else fails, a generic fix might be possible by repairing your windows installation with the setup disc. https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic8356.html

I tried resetting my Winsock and TCP/IP to defaults, I tried a connection via lan. I'm 100% sure its not malware, I've scanned with Windows Defender, Spybot S+D, Avast AV.
This is a recent install of XP, just over a month ago. The weird part is pinging the router, browsing internet, file sharing over the home network, port forwarding, p2p all work fine, but any attempt to connect to the router 192.168.1.1 fails completely. :( I also tried turning on all services in windows, trying in safe mode with network.
I thought it was an issue with the router, it fell off the wardrobe a few times (>.<), but since it works with my nieces laptop, it isn't.

what ever the ip address is on the laptop make that the address for the machine
with problem
do a ipconfig /flushdns from cmd if you have not
you may have thought the firewalls where off ,but some have services that keep running
config these to stop on next boot and reboot

Shut down all PCs connected to your router
Go to the router and unplug all connections if you have anything connected to it.

Connect only one PC to this router.
On that PC you have connected
Open a CMD window
start
run
type: cmd
then type: route print

if you want to have a hard copy type: route print >routeprint.txt

This will tell you what's connected and what the default gateway is. So you'll know what to type in the IE http for your router. I use this for those tough network calls.

If you still have problems, I have coded a program that will fix issues with group policy and networking... But the above should work for you as it has worked for me many times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back