Linux desktop users can get the Steam Deck experience with Bazzite

Daniel Sims

Staff
Why it matters: One of the most significant advantages of the Steam Deck is SteamOS, which simplifies the process of playing PC games on a handheld device that wasn't originally intended for them. A new version of the operating system aims to extend this experience to a broader range of device shapes and sizes.

Users who want to experience Valve's Steam Deck operating system on a desktop, HTPC, or another handheld device can now install Bazzite, which has recently received a full 1.0 release. This Linux-based system includes all the functionalities of SteamOS along with some significant additions.

Built on Fedora 38 as well as the main and Nvidia versions of uBlue, Bazzite aims to completely replicate the Steam Deck's interface and gaming optimizations. Similar to Valve's handheld, it has the capability to boot automatically into Steam Big Picture mode and run Windows games using Proton within an Arch Linux compatibility layer.

Because Bazzite retains Fedora's GRUB installation, it can dual-boot into Windows, but not other Linux distributions. Additionally, users running the system on more powerful hardware, such as desktops or other portable PCs, can utilize a terminal command to deactivate only the features optimized for the Steam Deck's modest hardware.

This could provide players with the handheld's quality-of-life advantages without its performance limitations. Theoretically, it could be beneficial for devices like the Asus ROG Ally, which TechSpot's review noted performed better in games than the Steam Deck but faced software challenges because Windows 11 isn't optimized for portable systems.

The same could be applicable to GPD's handhelds or the upcoming Lenovo Legion Go. Meanwhile, Steam Deck owners can install the clone OS on Valve's handheld to leverage its additional features, such as low-risk undervolting, custom limits on maximum battery charge, display overclocking, support for RAM modifications, and more.

Moreover, Bazzite comes with pre-installed proprietary Nvidia drivers, full ROCm OpenCL/HIP runtime support, wireless Xbox controller compatibility through Xpadneo drivers, DisplayLink support, input remapping functionality, Distrobox, a custom update system, rollback functionality, and various other features. Additionally, the installer includes a first-start guide to assist new users with adjustments and optional third-party apps like EmuDeck, DeckyLoader, or ProtonUp-Qt.

While the installation process is somewhat complex, the system requirements are relatively modest. A 2 GHz quad-core CPU, 4 GB of RAM, 20 GB of storage space, a modern dedicated GPU supporting Vulkan 1.3, and a keyboard (for handheld installation) should be sufficient.

Permalink to story.

That sounds cool, but you can't multi-boot into other Linux distros? I would guess that would limit it's popularity, at least for desktop users. Hope they can fix that!

It says no... but I just disconnect all but one drive and install the OS to that, then I just boot from that drive when I want that OS. A bit fiddly, but I've been running five different OS's on my system this way without issue.

Anyway this looks pretty sweet, I will be trying it for sure. I've been running PopOS! with Steam and Proton, along with Lutris for a lot of my Windows games but it can be pretty frustrating at times. This Bazzite I hope will be a bit more plug N' play but we'll see. I don't have a Steam Deck - I'd like one, but I just wouldn't use it enough to justify the cost.

That sounds cool, but you can't multi-boot into other Linux distros? I would guess that would limit it's popularity, at least for desktop users. Hope they can fix that!
I don't think most Linux users dual-boot to anything but Windows, if they dual-boot. And even then, a rising number of them just use UEFI to do their dual-booting.

I've used Bazzite for 2-3 months now, and it's been pretty good. It's legitimately the smoothest immutable OS I've used, especially if you use the uBlue repo creation tool which allows you to bake in other configs and packages into a personal image. I just use Bazzite, drop in some necessity of mine like virt-manager and rustdesk as well as the default WhiteSur theme and UX I prefer, and then it's just... exactly how I want it to be- it's perfect, right from a clean install. It's a great backup OS if nothing else, because I can just eject back to an install that's always set up from the get go.

Anyway this looks pretty sweet, I will be trying it for sure. I've been running PopOS! with Steam and Proton, along with Lutris for a lot of my Windows games but it can be pretty frustrating at times.
Personally would recommend just using Heroic for Windows games. Bottles is good too, but Heroic is much more of a three-click experience - and it's really easy to switch Wine/Proton version too. I just choose Add Game, put in Title which automatically pulls in the cover, choose "Run Installer first" if I need to, and then it'll just run on the Wine-GE or Proton-GE I have installed (the latter is especially great because it has a lot of patches that makes things runs better / have better compatibility).

I run Heroic and Bottles through Conty, which makes it very portable for me too. It's been pretty nice lately with all these distro-agnostic tools.

Personally would recommend just using Heroic for Windows games. Bottles is good too, but Heroic is much more of a three-click experience - and it's really easy to switch Wine/Proton version too. I just choose Add Game, put in Title which automatically pulls in the cover, choose "Run Installer first" if I need to, and then it'll just run on the Wine-GE or Proton-GE I have installed (the latter is especially great because it has a lot of patches that makes things runs better / have better compatibility).

I run Heroic and Bottles through Conty, which makes it very portable for me too. It's been pretty nice lately with all these distro-agnostic tools.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try it sometime...

Back