Linux dist. choices...help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hpak

I've upgraded the MOBO and CPU on my HP and now can't install Windows (only have restoration discs which I can't use cause the MOBO can't be tattooed). After researching how to reinstall the XP, I'm now considering Linux.

Can anyone recommend a dist. package? I'm kinda leaning towards Suse. Any difference between Suse 10.1 and 9 pro? Is there a better dist. of Linux? What are some of the things to look out for (all of my software is Windows and since I can't reinstall Windows, won't be able to do a dual-boot).

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

how much do you know about linux? Some more user friendly are Kubuntu (doesnt require any installing to run, but can be installed if desired) and ELX. Elx comes with Wine pre configured i believe, so if your hoping to use your windows programs you might have some hope, but not much lol.

For the more knowledgeable theres Fedora Core, Ubuntu, Slackware, Gentoo blah blah blah..many, google Linux Distros and youll find a site that has information on nearly every Linux and how many people that use them.

If you want to research it go look at www.distrowatch.com
I think that that is the site that the above person wanted to mention.

Good luck hunting, but I could say Kubuntu is a good option if you come from a Windows environment.

Want a good linux distro, well there's always the ubuntu series.
It does 3/4 of the work for you.
try madriva linux.
Some say that free bsd is good too.
Macs run on freebsd.
in my opinion, i would go for ubuntu linux.
if you want a whole list of linux distros, you should go to wikipedia, and search linux on there.

If you just want to try it out, then you should also try some live cd.
Also, there might be some live cds that can help you on booting back xp.

There seems to be a nice community behind Ubuntu. I recently installed OpenSuSE 10.1 on my G3 B&W Mac and its running fine.

I'm not too sure you can really say which one is best because it all depends on the user, just get one and use it, fight though the pain of not knowing how to do simple tasks, and you'll be ok.

Thanks for the help guys! I really appreciate it. Although I've never used Linux before, I think I'll manage it. It helps that there are people out there to help you along the way!

Much mahalo's!!!

Okay....I've decided to on two (2) possible choices. I've downloaded the 64-bit version of SuSE 10.1 and am downloading the 64-bit version of Ubuntu 6.06.1.

Now my question is this...I want to try both and see which I like. I also have Windows Vista Beta 2 x86. I can't seem to install Windows XP Home since the MOBO tattoo by HP prevents it. I know I can set-up a dual boot with Windows XP and Linux, but would I be able to set-up a tri-boot using SuSE 10.1, Ubuntu 6.06.1 and Windows Vista Beta 2? I have two (2) 160G HDD.

Thanks in advance guys!!!

Yes you might be able to.
LILO boot loader is preatty good.
The installer also changes your boot loader, so you are able to boot several operating systems.

Again, like i said earlier, use the live cd of ubuntu.
I'm no sure about suse.

confused001 said:
LILO boot loader is preatty good.
GRUB is much more flexible.

hpak said:
when you say live cd, what do you mean?
A live CD is one where the operating system runs completely from the CD, without requiring installation to hard disk first. Very useful for testing and diagnostics.

both lilo and grub will allow you to triple boot, there are some good howtos ive come across i belive 1 was actually for win/suse/ubuntu setup.
im not sure if vista is as picky but youll still probably want to install it 1st as grub will pick up its boot loader
id install ubuntu last as i know it picks up OSs installed on ure HD during the install process, however suse probably does the same
this is an xp/vista/ubuntu guide>http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=220452
a general tribooting guide> http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/li...ence-material/51822-how-triboot-computer.html

I have a triple boot set up with underground (arch based), elive (debiab based) and mepis 6 (ububtu based), using grub. I'm sure this isn't the proper way to do it, but for each one I installed grub to /root on it's own partition then copied the menu.lst entries for elive and mepis to the original menu.lst that underground was using. Hey, it works ;)
I'll be replacing mepis with something soon, it doesn't run well on this machine, P3, 700mhz with 256 ram just doesn't quite cut it, it's to slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back