Linux Distro for an in car computer.

By dmill89
Dec 16, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I recently built an in car computer. I am looking for help in finding the best linux distro for this application.

The system specs are as follows:
    CPU: AMD K6-2 500mhz
    Motherboad: Gigabyte GA-5SMM
    HDD: Western Digital Caviar 80GB (IDE)
    Optical drive: 16x DVD rom
    RAM: 256mb PC100
    Video: SIS integraded graphics
    Sound: ESS integrated sound

The linux distro must have a good GUI since I'm useing a touch screen which would make a command line based OS unuseable. I will also need to be able to play audio and video.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
  2. Jesse_hz

Jesse_hz TechSpot Maniac Posts: 638

Normally, if you're not very experienced with linux, I would suggest Mandriva, Ubuntu or openSUSE. They are all very easy to use, but I'm not sure they will all work with the low specs you have.

You'll probably need to look for a distribution, that has fluxbox as an option for the Window Manager. Gnome and KDE take too many resources.

Keep in mind, no matter what distro you choose, you will at some point need to use the console for troubleshooting and other stuff. You cannot avoid the console completely.
  3. dmill89

dmill89 TechSpot Guru Topic Starter Posts: 737

I have a good amount of experience with linux. (Mostly command line based server distros). I was considering Ubuntu and SUSE due to their GUI support. I think I will try Ubuntu first and go from there.

Thanks, any other recomendations would be helpfull.

I'm not too worried about the hardware specs. I put Fedora with all the options on a computer for a friend. He has a Pentium III 400mhz with 128mb ram and although instalation was slow (took about 6 hrs.) it ran fine once installed.
  4. Jesse_hz

Jesse_hz TechSpot Maniac Posts: 638

Well everybody has a different perception of "fine".

I put fedora on a 600Mhz Celeron with 192MB of ram and it ran "fine", but the desktop was kinda sluggish.
  5. Boogityboo04

Boogityboo04 Newcomer, in training Posts: 351

If you want a bare bones setup, try Gentoo and use fluxbox. It's a very light weight distro if you set it up right, but it's a lot more technically involved to set up than all the other distros with GUI setup programs.
  6. N3051M

N3051M Newcomer, in training Posts: 2,800

ubuntu should run ok with the setup..
    maybe just add a USB port on the side (or front panel) for keyboard-needed emergencies lol..
  7. dmill89

dmill89 TechSpot Guru Topic Starter Posts: 737

I tried Ubuntu but it had problems recognizing my integrated video and install would just lead to a blank screen. I ended up useing Fedora which runs wellon this system.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.