Linux image iso

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear all,first of all excusme for my English but I am Italian and I would appreciate a lot your help.I have Knoppix live and I have 2 problems:

1.how can I mount an image iso being on my hard disk?
2.how can I explore files on hard disk by root shell?

Thnks in advance

Albywiller

1. "mount -t iso9660 -o loop iso/file.name /mount/point/"

2. You use commands like cd, ls and pwd to browse filesystems from command line. See any Linux/UInix tutorial for details :)

THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR PROMPT REPLY!!!
1.I know those comands but I don't manage to mount xyz.iso being on /mnt/hda1 (ntfs partition),whilst I manage to mount xyz.iso being on Desktop of Knoppix.I am using Knoppix live(FANTASTIC DISTRO).
2.How can I explore files being,for example,on /mnt/hda1 or /mnt/dev when I am in root-shell?
THANKS AGAIN.I HOPE YOU CAN HELP ME AGAIN!!
albywiller

1: "don't manage" means what? Surely you get some error messages? What exactly are you doing?

2: What do you mean by "explore"?

In root shell, you do "ls /mnt/hda1" and you see the files in there and "ls /mnt/hda1/WINDOWS" to see the files in there etc. You can use "cd /mnt/hda1/WINDOWS" to go into that directory and so on.

I appreciate a lot your help!!
1.when I mount an iso,for example from Desktop or pen usb,I use

mount -t iso9660 -o loop /mnt/hsa1/file.iso /mnt/iso

that's all ok,but when I mount an iso from hda1 I have some problems.
For example when I use:

mount -t iso9660 -o loop /mnt/hda1/Documents and Settings/Desktop/file.iso /mnt/iso

on screen I read this:
mount-V : print version
mount
and so on.Then I can read on screen
So far the informational part.Next the mounting...and so on.
I can't read any particular message but just advices.

2.when I am in root shell and I use
ls/mnt/hda1
I find files in "green"and in "blu".What does it mean?How can I open these files,for example file "Documents and Settings"(in blu)?Because I am able to open the folder"windows" with:cd /mnt/hda1/WINDOWS but not the others.For example when I use:
cd /mnt/hda1/Documents and settings
the message on the screen says"bash: cd: /mnt/hda1/Documents: No such file or directory

HELP ME!!

You need to quote or escape pathnames containing spaces.
Two ways to do it:
Code:
mount -t iso9660 -o loop "/mnt/hda1/Documents and Settings/Desktop/file.iso" /mnt/iso
cd /mnt/hda1/Documents\ and\ settings

BTW, usually you can auto-complete filenames with the TAB key in Linux. So you can type all the way up to "Docu" and then hit TAB to make it complete the rest of the name.

IT DOES WORK!!THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!YOU SAVED ME!!!

Now I'd have an other problem..but can I mount images created by Alcohool software?That is file.mdf?
Basically I have two files created with Alcohhol 120% software:
file.mdf
file.mds
How can I do?
First do I have to convert them in iso?
thanks in advance

KISO is a Linux program that supports Alcohol CD images. Otherwise you have to convert to .iso, yes.

Thanks!I have just downloaded and I am going to try straight away..
As far as you know do you think I can install it even if I have Knoppix Live? I have to install it as root,haven't I?

You need at least some space on your hard drive set aside for Knoppix in order to install anything.

If you have already decided to use Linux, then you should consider installing something to your hard drive. You can even do it with Knoppix if you feel that switching to some other distro is too scary.

Yes I Know what you mean,but my problem is that my windows partition is crashed and I wanted recovery my files(included my iso).As you know with a distro live I can't burn so I wanted to open my iso to tranfer them into my usb pen.First I'd like to make sure that all my files are recovered.Unfortunately I am not in my country..I am an italian engineer and I have been here in London for 1 month to work..so I don't have my drivers to format my notebook and re-install windows.
I'd like to mount iso created with alcohol but I don't know if I can install KISO with Knoppix Live.I have to recovery those files..I need them to work.Generally I work a lot with iso because it's easy for me..but I don't know what I have to do..
I have used memtest86 and I found errors with the test number 3..I don't know..Do you think that I have problems with my memory modules?Basically windows XP work no longer,it doesn't start..and the system restarts again and again everytime I turn on my notebook..
I am becoming mad...please can you help me?thanks in advance my

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back