Liquid cooling - max cpu speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

HughJass

hello
if i was to have a computer that had liquid cooling, and at defult clock settings it idles at 25C, can i over clock it untill its tempreture is around 65C? or would the amount of overclockin needed to get that far fry my computer?

give more specs of your system (cpu, board, case, cooling system). cpu's generally are designed to operate at up to around 80 degrees celsuis. higher temps increase thermal stresses and may shorten the operational life of the components.

this is just therotical, so it isn’t on my actual computer, I suppose the question is, if I had a 1ghz processer, could I over clock it to say 4ghz if it stayed under the maximum tempreture, (assuming the MB and bios allowed it)?

Not very likely. If you can get 50% of out a chip, it's considered an overclocking champion. If you get 100% (double the original speed), it's a true gem. You can hardly go beyond a 100% overclock.

it's not so much a question of cooling as it is the cpu being able to operate that fast. the transistors' reaction time can only be so fast...

Yes, and very. A processor is always sold to be run at the rated speed, no higher. When a chip comes out of fab it is tested at extreme speeds and is slowly scaled backwards until a stable point is met. Then it is either rated at that stable speed, or downclocked further to meet a quota of specified speeds. For instance, if you buy a new 2.8ghz p4 today, it may have been cut from the exact same sheet of cpus that 3.6ghz chips were on, but it still might choke at 3.2ghz.

Truth or overclocking....

I would not overclock a Chip by anymore then 10% MAX... and as-far as water cooling it is good if you have something to cold the water down, but if you dont you will fry your Rig with a loss of alot of money. Still to this day the best systems are air cooled, that is why AMD will-not back water cooling it is an added drain of power on the PSU and produces secondarry EMI feilds in and or around the system and EMI is bad, so you need to gaurd against that people don't I have only seen a handfull of rigs that have sheilding and run solid and evry rig I have seen without gets buggy and now and then needs a new BIOS or needs in to be reflashed. Good computer building skills are not marked by how fast you can overclock a CPU or video card; but are rated by how long and cool you can keep a system stable to do a job. I have $3200.00 invested in my tower and I am not about to turn that into a doorstop anytime soon. Chips have a rating for a reason and when people get an FX55 an overclock it I fall over giggling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back