Not open for further replies.

ripken204

does any1 know about water/liquid cooling

i am interested but dont know much about it ,
websites on it would be helpful

also how much would it cost?

PC water cooling, really the best idea?

Just had a look at the Koolance website. Oh dear, oh dear. :haha:

Whoever wrote their technical pages on thermodynamics needs a slap! If anyone wants to know about thermodynamics, I strongly suggest you do not take this website too seriously.

I will give them a little round of applause for trying but there are just too many inaccuracies. :(

Water cooling, hmmm. Why do you want water (liquid) cooling? The systems on offer still need a fan to move air past the radiator element of the cooling circuit.....just buy an expensive (and quiet) fan, save the expense and difficulty of a liquid system! Plus a 'proper' cooling system (think fridge or air-conditioning unit) uses a condenser not just a radiator to 'efficiently' remove the heat.

Also, Koolance suggest the use of distilled water to reduce corrosion...hmmm. First of all, they are right; distilled water is better than tap-water. Unfortunately unless every single component is clinically clean, you will have impurities in the water and you will (especially at elevated temperatures) have corrosion. This is why cars and any other liquid cooling system has corrosion inhibitors mixed with the cooling fluid.

Final note of caution. There are many types of bacteria that love anaerobic environments (read: cooling systems) and no-matter how good you are, you will in time need to replace your coolant. You can help reduce this flushing activity by using a microbicide but even then, it will still need to be performed.

There are other factors to consider as well but I think i have said enough.
Easy now,
J.

I found it to be a complete pain in the *** and not really any better than a good fan and heatsink. And I had the supposedly easiest unit: the Thermaltake Aquarius III.

ripken204 said:
does any1 know about water/liquid cooling

i am interested but dont know much about it ,
websites on it would be helpful

also how much would it cost?

It would cost you around $100.00 - $500.00+. The brands I'm Currently using are: Innovatek, Swiftech, Danger Den & PolarFlo. Are you planning to overclock? If not, I would just use something like Thermaltake Bigwater or Koolance. They have quite a few on Ebay .

Remember: The bigger the fittings the better (1/4 ID X 3/8 OD, 3/8 ID X 1/2 OD - Standard sizes). The bigger the radiator the better and so on...
For pumps, I would recommend Swiftech MCP650, Swiftech MCP600, Eheim (also available in 12V), PolarFlo T Series.

My main advice is to do some more research before you buy.
Check out these sites: HARDOCP , BigBruin , Gideon Tech and more...

Stores:
FrozenCPU
XOxide
Jab-Tech
SharkaCorp
Atacom
HighSpeedPC
SNT-Sytems
Sylicon Valley CompuCycle

Thermaltake????

Thermaltake is a piece of ****! I think the pump output is only 90+ LPH. A good pump would be between 150 GPH to 300 GPH. Thermaltake only use a 1/4 ID tube. Compare to mine, I use 1/2 iD tubes. Bug difference there! Thermaltake is diffinetly not good for overclocking! The one you're talking about is even worst! The only thing I like from Thermaltake is the Water Temperature Indicator because it's cheap. Innovatek systems has better designs and more effective. A good water cooling system is capable of bringing the temperature down to 25c to 35c with the CPU load of 100%.

I was never a fan of Koolance.

Littlejim said:
Just had a look at the Koolance website. Oh dear, oh dear. :haha:

Whoever wrote their technical pages on thermodynamics needs a slap! If anyone wants to know about thermodynamics, I strongly suggest you do not take this website too seriously.

I will give them a little round of applause for trying but there are just too many inaccuracies. :(

Water cooling, hmmm. Why do you want water (liquid) cooling? The systems on offer still need a fan to move air past the radiator element of the cooling circuit.....just buy an expensive (and quiet) fan, save the expense and difficulty of a liquid system! Plus a 'proper' cooling system (think fridge or air-conditioning unit) uses a condenser not just a radiator to 'efficiently' remove the heat.

Also, Koolance suggest the use of distilled water to reduce corrosion...hmmm. First of all, they are right; distilled water is better than tap-water. Unfortunately unless every single component is clinically clean, you will have impurities in the water and you will (especially at elevated temperatures) have corrosion. This is why cars and any other liquid cooling system has corrosion inhibitors mixed with the cooling fluid.

Final note of caution. There are many types of bacteria that love anaerobic environments (read: cooling systems) and no-matter how good you are, you will in time need to replace your coolant. You can help reduce this flushing activity by using a microbicide but even then, it will still need to be performed.

There are other factors to consider as well but I think i have said enough.
Easy now,
J.

Yo! Can a fan bring a temp down to 25C or lower? I don' think so... Can a fan handle of xtreme overclocking??? I don't think so... not even with twon dozen of fans in your system. That would drive me crazy with all that noise!!! You don't nned to have fans to have a watercooling system. Some radiators don't require fans. They're big enough and theyhave more water volumes. HA! HA! HA!

SNIL said:
I found it to be a complete pain in the *** and not really any better than a good fan and heatsink. And I had the supposedly easiest unit: the Thermaltake Aquarius III.

HA! Ha! HA! Aquarius III??? What the hell is Aquarius III, a poop cooler? WTF!!! It belongs in the garbage...

i would never do it

I know it is sort of stupid...but water+electronics=makes me uneasy

I put alot of money into my rig and i just dont want to take the risk. Plus the price...i think it is good only for real high end systems

Sean

I've been water cooling with a Swiftech Q-power case for almost 3 years now. They no longer offer the system, so you'll have to go with their kits, now. Danger Den is also very big in the watercooling kit arena. I would not bother with less myself. You'll also want a larger than normal case to fit the radiator or you'll have to get creative on mounting.

SWIFTTECH

Danger Den

The new swiftech liquid cooling systems are one of the best pre made cooling systems you can get. They cost about 150 - 250 depending on what accesories you get. There is a review of them

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/swiftech-cooling.html

Check it out!! I was looking to get that one for my system but since i was not doing extreme overclocking i just stuck with a good aluminum case and a few fans but for people who want to overclock their systems to the max nothing beats a good water cooled system. :cool:

ripken204 said:
im looking for a high end system
http://frontiernet.net/~unholyknights/comp/mycomputer1.html

and thx modguru, ill have to check out that stuff, and when i saw him talk about the aquarius i was saying to myself the same things u said, even with the research ive done in 1 day i know that the aquaries if a pice of s**t

PolarFlo TT Series, Danger Den RBX or the Cuplex Evo Revision 1.1 for CPU water blocks. SNT-Systems and FrozenCpu got some really cool stuff.

AtK SpAdE said:
I know it is sort of stupid...but water+electronics=makes me uneasy.
I put alot of money into my rig and i just dont want to take the risk. Plus the price...i think it is good only for real high end systems
Sean

The though of "water" cooling always made me nervous also.
Always made me think of Ben Franklin flying his kite in the thunderstorm or the cartoon character lighting a match too find there way in a dynamite shack.

Fluid XP, non-conductive coolant;
http://www.integrity-pc.com/fluidxp.cfm
http://www.xoxide.com/fluidxp.html
"Xoxide.com, Inc. does not guarantee this product or its claims. Please test the liquid or research it before use in a system."

SAPPHIRE™
"It is based on NOVEC™ 1230 fluid by 3M, which is the first alternative chemical clean agent to offer a viable long-term solution for special hazards fire protection.”
"regular readers of Slashdot probably have something else in mind: total-immersion watercooling"
http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/04/14/1621235&mode=thread&tid=126&tid=134

so then koolance would be the best way for me to go? also if i do get them then should i get one of their cases with it already installed?

Triton said:
The though of "water" cooling always made me nervous also.
Always made me think of Ben Franklin flying his kite in the thunderstorm or the cartoon character lighting a match too find there way in a dynamite shack.

QUOTE]Most water cooled hardware "if your using your head" Should sit below the PSU . 12 Volts D.C dont kill. so even if a leak sprung on the board the worse it could happen "a fry mobo" so its almost imposible to get electricuted . Now if for some weird reason or stupidity a hose runs above the PSU and sprung a leak it could wet the 115 -VOLT side of the PSU now things could get intresting. a good quality 110 outlet with built in leak detector should shut down . still never go touching a PC with water cooling if a major leak is seen = Shut down the PC if no water is by your feet but dont touch the metal case. pull the cord out of the wall "if you can safely" other wise run to the house main breaker and SHUT DOWN THE WHOLE HOUSE IF YOU HAVE TOO. In a big pc case theres no reason to have anything runing water near the PSU . NONE of the D.C rails coming out of the PSU carry enough juice to kill you . But dont forget 115 volt A.C IS INside YOUR PSU THIS ONE DOES AND WELL KILL YOU.

Attachments

• My_Water_Cooled_PC_019.jpg
    My_Water_Cooled_PC_019.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 12
  • My_Water_Cooled_PC_029.jpg
    My_Water_Cooled_PC_029.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 11
  • My_Water_Cooled_PC_006.jpg
    My_Water_Cooled_PC_006.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 9
  • My_Water_Cooled_PC_013.jpg
    My_Water_Cooled_PC_013.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 10
My comments were not made to discourage anyone truly interested in moding or liquid cooling, more to encourage caution and respect for electricity.
Many people die from house fires caused by appliances (TV sets are common cause) and other electrical causes, and they don't use liquid cooling.

If you remember your high school science class it does not take much contaminants to make distilled water conductive and I think many don't bother using it.

Cooling systems don't always just leak but spray coolant.

A phone cord attached to your computer modem also has dangerous voltage potential. Ringer voltage can be as high as 140 volts. Tap voltage around 80 volts.

If you come into contact with any (high frequency) produced by any voltage it can disrupt heart rhythm.

"a good quality 110 outlet with built in leak detector should shut down"
This is called a GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters) outlet. A good idea even if your not liquid cooling.
http://www.statefarm.com/consumer/vhouse/articles/circuit.htm

I don't think its in anyone's best interest to downplay the dangers of electricity. Respect it or it can hurt you, directly or indirectly.

i strongly recommend you check out the (Zalman Reserator I Silent Water Cooling System) this is a wiked water cooling system and no noise no fans and is not that heavy on the pocket i suggest you do some research on it and i think this will be the one for you Zalman Reserator I i would like to know what your final decision is incase there is something better that i havent see

Triton good points .how ever most people use ethernet conection between modem and the pc since most serius gamer would not use dial up modem . this runs on super weak D.C current. a short jolt low amp a.c most people can tolerate i dont recall the last time some one got kill by a phone line ringer jolt. but under extreme circumstances who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back