Local Area Connection (a network cable is unplugged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everybody, this is my first post so Im not really sure if I put this thread in the right place...

I recently purchased a dell dimension 3000 desktop and installed a D-link wireless card for a wireless internet network around the house. The computer appeared to be receiving the signals and so I assume that it is connected and working. However, my local area network keeps bubbling up and tells me that a network cable is unplugged, which is impossible because my network is wireless and my main computer, which the station is connected to is working perfectly. Then, I went to the network places and saw that one icon says "Local area network connection" (the one that says a network cable is unplugged) which has the x next to it and one says "Wireless network connection" and that one is connected. I right click on the "wireless network connection" and select "repair" and I can finally connect to the internet. But once I turn off my computer and turn it back on, the same thing happen (NO connection!) so I have to repeat this everytime I want to use the computer.

Please help

First thing. disable your Local Area Network Connection.

when you are connected what is your signal strength?

how far away from the Access point are you?

Okay, I disabled my Local Area Network Connection.
My signal strength is 3 out of 5 bars but like I mentioned before, I can get online with my network using this computer but the thing is I have to keep on clicking "repair" on my wireless network icon everytime if I want to get connected.
I am not far at all from the access point considering I live in a small apartment building so I would say about the distant between 3 rooms...not quite sure.

rooms in say a house or rooms that the walls are made of concrete/brick,

are there any other electronic wireless devices in your house such as cordless phone, cell phone , cb radio,

Can you move your desktop closer to the wireless access point to see if the signal strength gets better and see if the connection works better?

souds like it isn't getting a strong enough signal to stay reliable.

ALSO ...... On your wireless access point what "wireless mode" is it set to. B G or Mixed mode. if set to mixed mode set it to specifically the wireless mode for your wireless nic in your desktop. i have seen this cause some signal loss.

Rooms in a house and the walls are not made of concrete. The position where I place my new pc is the exact same spot where I had my old pc, which was using the same wireless card and it worked well for about a yr under windows 98 second edition until I decided to upgrade to a newer pc.

Yes, I have cellphones, cordless phones in my house but never seem to cause any problems before.

You mentioned "wireless mode" and I'm not sure what you are talkin about, can you elaborate plz

On your wireless access point you may or may not have this option but most seem to have it.

there is an option for the wireless access point to accept only connections from B network signals, or G network signals, and Mixed (which would accept/broadcast both signals B and G)

I have experienced setting the access point to MIXED causes lower quality signal and thus causing network dropped every 10 to 20 min.

go into the configuration of your access point. typically its http://192.168.1.1 from a Internet explorer(or favorite browser).
type your admin id/pass when prompted and check settings.

Hope that answers your question

please help

I have a lenovi 3100 laptop

I have two problems :

1/ local area connection unplugged
2/ network sharing filles

somone please help

anola

i tried what was mentioned above. I cant connect my printer to change the ink cartridge without it coming close to snapping my fingers off. it doesnt even work in a place where the modem is about twenty feet away with 2 walls in between it. It says that there is a cable unplugged, but it is wireless.
anything to help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back