Local Area Connection Unplugged

Status
Not open for further replies.
(Sorry, not sure if this was the right spot to post this, but...)
I recently received a new modem today from an RCN guy, and its been working great. However, every so often, a bubble would pop up saying my local area connection is unplugged for about a split second. Any ideas on how to stop this?

Is it a modem or a router?

Either way, it could be an issue with the device itself (a firmware update may fix that), the cable (try another cable), your network card being bad (try another one), or some software issue.

Im relatively computer illiterate, and only 3/4 of what you said made sense to me, lol. Regardless, the guy said it should be fine, but now this happens every so often. Any ideas on what I can do?

*edit* Im using a dell professional with windows xp, if that helps.

dark_crusader said:
Im relatively computer illiterate, and only 3/4 of what you said made sense to me, lol. Regardless, the guy said it should be fine, but now this happens every so often. Any ideas on what I can do?

*edit* Im using a dell professional with windows xp, if that helps.
Basically, what the guys are saying is that 'Network Cable Unplugged' means that the computer is losing it's connection with the modem - that's why you're getting the message balloon.

This disconnection could be for one of two reasons:

1. A software issue with the modem (updating the firmware is one way of ensuring that it's not a software issue with the modem)

2. The lead that you connect the modem to the PC with is faulty - try using a different one.

Hope that makes things a little clearer for you. If you can post make and model details of your modem - I'm sure one of us will tell you where you can download the firmware (software) for your modem.

Cheers,
Nick.

I also was going to suggest that you try a different Ethernet cable as your symptoms can be caused by a poor crimp of the RJ45 plug on the cable and it is easy and fast to check for this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back