TechSpot

Login page for restaurant hotspot access?

By sethbest
Feb 13, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. I have a client that has been asking me about a way to monitor internet activities or to get email addresses for people who use his wifi hotspots. He owns a chain of restaurants and essentially wants a system that retrieves people's email addresses when they connect so he can send them promotional emails.

Personally I think this is a terrible idea, but professionally I have to give him my opinion. I was going to suggest that he have a sign in page that the router directs traffic to before it gives full connectivity to the user. This page would have a user agreement that allows for sending promotional emails. I've seen these at airports and some other businesses and I hate them, but this seems to be the least morally objectionable way to do what he's asking rather than implementing a shady web traffic monitoring system.

I'm pretty sure all this would take would be to have the DHCP managed by a server that through the dns sends all traffic to a page that requires registering a login before granting full access to the network. Has anyone done something like this themselves, or have a suggestion for a method or application that aids in something like this?

Thanks.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.