Logitech's latest gaming keyboards boast an 'impossibly thin' design

Polycount

Staff
Marketing lingo: PC peripheral manufacturers are always making bold claims about their latest products. Terms like "revolutionary" and "innovative" get tossed around so often in marketing land that they've all but lost their meaning for more savvy consumers. However, every now and then, a company makes a claim that's a bit harder to ignore -- that's what Logitech's done today, with the launch of its two latest ultra-thin mechanical keyboards.

The devices, dubbed the G915 Lightspeed and G815 Lightsync, boast one major feature: an "impossibly thin" and "ground breaking" design, coming in at just 22mm. Logitech calls this a "feat of engineering," which is debatable -- true, there aren't exactly hundreds of ultra-thin gaming keyboards on the market (not high quality ones, anyway), but they do exist.

Anyway, Logitech goes on to say that both the G915 and G815 are crafted from premium materials, with brushed aluminum top plates, and "low-profile" keycaps that show off a bit more of the keyboards' fancy RGB lighting.

Both boards will ship with one of three switch variants: GL Clicky, GL Tactile, and GL Linear, which function pretty much how their names suggest. Clicky offers loud and tactile feedback, tactile is a bit quieter with only a "gentle" feedback bump, and linear is completely smooth.

Design and function-wise, both keyboards are almost completely identical. They offer the same per-key RGB and macro customization (as well as five rebindable "G-keys" toward the left), and the placement of various buttons and switches are similar.

The key difference lies in their connectivity: the G815 is wired, whereas the G915 offers "pro-grade" wireless functionality, with a 1ms response time and 30 hours of battery life (at 100 percent backlight brightness) on a single charge. Recharging will take about three hours in total.

If either keyboard sounds like your cup of tea, the G915 will run you $250, while the G815 is $200. Both devices are available for purchase now.

Permalink to story.

Finally a wireless keyboard that can be charged on the fly, with low-profile linear keys!
I've been waiting for several years already for this combination.

If it wasn't for the price ... <gulp>

Anyone know a nice alternative?

The G815 is referred to at the very beginning as G15. A simple typo, but I did remind me of how I beat the hell out of my G15 1st gen WAY back in the day.

I have a keyboard with Cherry MX brown switches. It works well. I find it much more comfortable to type on than a rubber dome keyboard.

I don't understand what advantage there would be to a thinner keyboard. I don't know of any situation where space for one's hands above the keyboard is so limited that a thinner board would be a convenience. Nor do I think that less key travel is helpful. I have used Apple keyboards and found them much less comfortable than boards with Cherry switches.

A keyboard with 60% of the full layout. No numpad, no dedicated "Home" or "Print Screen" button, ect. In addition, function keys are shared with numerical keys. The keyboard can still access those features using the FN key and they are all within reach of your fingers at all times. I have no idea why none of the big manufacturers make 60% keyboards but boards like the Vortex Poker are very popular in the keyboard enthusiast scene.

A keyboard with 60% of the full layout. No numpad, no dedicated "Home" or "Print Screen" button, ect. In addition, function keys are shared with numerical keys. The keyboard can still access those features using the FN key and they are all within reach of your fingers at all times. I have no idea why none of the big manufacturers make 60% keyboards but boards like the Vortex Poker are very popular in the keyboard enthusiast scene.

You can just break off all those annoying keys you hate, if you like. It's fun! Snap, snap!

Hmmmmm ..... I have my own reservations about this one. We need more hard and sturdy keyboards, preferably mechanical types that will hold up better than these ultra-thin ones that simply don't last. I like the features but with so many great keyboards priced at under $100 I just don't see the need .....

I for one hate laptop keyboards. So I know I wouldn't like the 60%. But I will also vote for the option to have them, even though I don't want them. As long as the whole market doesn't shift to 60%.

I don't know who tested this marketing message, but I for one am someone who immediately equates "thin" and "keyboard" with NO THANKS.

Has there ever been a single positive word said about say Apple's increasingly thin, and sucky, laptop keyboards?

Oh, I thought 60% KBs still had the F keys. I must use a 65 or 70% KB as I have F keys and a single column added at the R with Home, Pg Up/Down, & End keys.

Oh, I thought 60% KBs still had the F keys. I must use a 65 or 70% KB as I have F keys and a single column added at the R with Home, Pg Up/Down, & End keys.

Might be an 84-key. I have a NIZ Plum electrostatic capacitive keyboard that is exactly the same. There is no gap between the number keys and function keys, it's all smashed together. Great keyboard if you need to use the function keys often as they are so easy to reach. I didn't like the 84 key models that had the function keys spaced from the numerical keys.

I would buy a logitech keyboard but they have no 60% offerings. Once you go 60% you don't go back.
The only reason I went for 60% is because I hit the keyboard with my mouse. Other than that, numpad is much easier to use for numbers. I was even used to pressing Enter on the numpad rather than the "regular" one.

I'm hardly going to be impressed by a keyboard, it's just a thing you type on. I would never spend so much money on a keyboard even if I had an unlimited balance, just cause I would feel stupid for being ripped off.

Back